loose rabbit fur for stuffing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Stuffing

Hi,
Why not use "Dr. Baily's Long Hair"
or "BAF"?:confused: :confused:
[ BAF= Bonded Acetate Fiber]
The problem with these natural products like rabbits fur or Dr. Baily's Long Hair, I believe it is lamswool, not sure, is that insects and mots eat it. So it detoriates with time........
In my Klipschorns bass chamber I used for years a product sold by Visaton called:
<I>DAMPING MATERIAL
Art. No. 5070
Damping Material made of polyester wool with excellent damping properties. Can be handled and fitted easily.
Packing unit: 125 g (enough for a volume of up to 20 l). </I>
http://www.visaton.com/english/suche.htm
{put "damping wool" into the searchengine of the site}
;)

SkinnyBoy said:
NO WAIT!!! ROAD KILL!!!! Its PERFECT!!!! free too... :)
I think the ridges of the tire tracks will help with minimizing reflections.

I know where we can find some...

Attachments

• roo sign.jpg
    roo sign.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 235
seangoesbonk said:

I think the ridges of the tire tracks will help with minimizing reflections.

I know where we can find some...

Hmmm, what cars do you guys drive? A tank would probably work best....... :D :D

Or let's say, at least something robust, I don't know exactly how big a roo can grow, but don't they grow big enough to make some serious dints to your car when they get run over by it??

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bob4 said:
I don't know exactly how big a roo can grow, but don't they grow big enough to make some serious dints to your car when they get run over by it??

In the interior of BC, you have to worry about moose -- hit one of them at high speed and it's time for a new car.

How long is the rabbits fur? Will it stay fluffed up?

You could always do what i suspect the hat guys were gonna use it for, make rabbit felt and line the cabinet walls.

dave

the length is anywhere from .5-1.25 inches long.not sure about the fluffiness, my first assumption is that it will stay fluffed just fine, ill just have to see. im currently trying some washing of the fur. there is still dander and dust in it and it smells a bit odd! as soon as i get a little time the experimentation will begin. what is a good rule of thumb for stuffing a sealed enclosure? if there is one.
shallenn

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If you hit a kangaroo you will know about that is for sure. There are all different sorts and sizes, but the boxing kangaroos can stand up to 6 foot tall, not to mention the fact they are super muscly.... they will turn most cars into an accordian if hit right.

My uncle hit one in an old dodge pickup truck doing 50km/h and it took off the whole front end nearly....
On the other hand we hit a small wallaby (like a kangaroo only smaller) and it just make a huge thud and it left **** (literally) all over the number plate and bonnet.

Australian animals seem to cause a lot of car damage for their size, like Wombats... we hit one of those and the car spun off the road... the wombat was injured (poor thing) but managed to hobble off the road where he die (RIP brother Wombat)

Mike

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Shallenn

what is a good rule of thumb for stuffing a sealed enclosure? if there is one.

It all depends on what material you are using for stuffing, but as I have never come across any models for rabbit fur, I think you are in the realms of trial and error:)

I would second Dave's suggestion for mixing with poly fiber, as I think the relatively short length of the fur will lead to it settling over time.

If you need to clean it, just put it in a pillow case and stick it in the washer, this should get rid of any remaining oils and smells.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pinkmouse said:
If you need to clean it, just put it in a pillow case and stick it in the washer, this should get rid of any remaining oils and smells.

If it is anything like wool, you should probably hand wash it in a bucket 1st and get most of the yukky stuff out. 30 years later i still hear it from a friend's mom for the batch of sheep's wool we did in her washer :D

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.