KEF T33 tweeter replacement for 104/2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2006, 09:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default KEF T33 tweeter replacement for 104/2

i did a search and found some good info, but am curious if anyone has any updates on their findings.

as many KEF owners with ferro-fluid cooled tweeters know, the gel hardens over 20 years and basically renders the tweeters useless. i recently traded my Bozak 302A Urbans for a pair of 104/2. should have hooked the KEFs up while the guy was here, but such is life. he's really nice and offered to give me cash to buy the KEF recommended replacements.

but, I've heard KEF's replacements are both overpriced ($160/pair) and don't even sound that great. as you know, the 104/2 has the tweeter mounted flush behind the mid/tweeter baffle. i do not want to alter the outside of the baffle, but have no problem tweaking it from inside to mount a suitable, if not better replacement. i mean $160 buys you some pretty fricken nice tweeters ;-)

so, what have you guys tried successfully? the tweeter is 1.25", but i can go smaller if necessary. i believe they are 4 ohm. overall sensitivity is rated at 92db at a 4ohm load.

specs: http://www.kef.com/history/1980/model104_2.asp

thanks,
Robby
Old 24th July 2006, 07:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Robby,

If the tweeters are not blown, but just gummed up from the dried out ferrofluid, then I would try cleaning out the old ferrofluid before making any baffle mods.

The tweeter dome is bonded to a ring that is stuck to the magnet with double stick tape. It is possible to gently lift it up using a thin bladed knife.

Once off, gently clean off the old ferrofluid from the coil using a soft cloth, then also remove the gunk from the magnet gap. This will be more difficult as it is of course attracted to the gap, but using Q-tips, masking tape wiped into the gap, and lots of patience, you may well be able to get the tweeter working again.
Of course it will no longer have the power handling it once had due to lack of ferrofluid, so be careful.
It may be possible to find a source of new ferrofluid that you could put in.

At least it's worth a try before spending lots of money on alternative drivers that won't match the original!

Good luck

Andrew
Old 24th July 2006, 08:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Andrew!

have you tried this with KEF tweeters in the past?

you are right, it is worth a shot, but i might also just buy replacement tweeters as well. i've read that others have tried to clean out the gunk. it does help a lot, but the T33s still didn't have the output they used to. why does the hardened fliud kill the output?

thanks,
Robby
Old 25th July 2006, 12:45 AM   #4
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

ferrofluid is easily available on ebay. suprisingly, lots of purveyors. I think they are literally taking it from the loudspeaker arena, and using it as a neo magnet toy. Of course, you have no real idea od the wieght and type you are getting from them. You can't see the bottle close enough in the advert, either.
Old 25th July 2006, 01:05 AM   #5
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Madisound.com should be able to hook you up with proper tweeter ferrofluid if you call them up.

Interesting video of PHD's playing with ferrofluid

http://scitation.aip.org/phf/gallery/2003-lorenz.jsp
Old 25th July 2006, 05:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

crazy idea - a/d/s speakers are 4 ohm. what about their clasic tweeters from the 70/80's?

Robby
Old 25th July 2006, 11:30 AM   #7
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Robby

I have bought T33, T33a and also ferro fluid on e bay. I paid 30 per T33.

The T33 seems to be an excellant treble unit and I would repair if possible otherwise replace with another T33.

I have had correspondence with Kef in the past and they do confirm that the T27, T33 and T52 treble units are all interchangeable if the sensativity is adjusted.

When I was building some Kefkit speakers many years ago I contacted Kef to see if I could use the T52 instead of the T33 as I assumed that the T52 was a better unit. The reply back indicated that the units were all interchangeable as mentioned above. The main difference was in the power handling capabilities and in the temperature that could be sustained in long term use.

If you need more detailed info on the speaker that is available if you search on google.

Hope this helps
Don
Old 26th July 2006, 11:39 AM   #8
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

T33 was built to go lower and to take stick. It is not a great tweeter. Has lots of breakup and top octave is lacking.
Old 26th July 2006, 05:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Well, after some research, i tend to agree that both the T33 was never that great and that the KEF replacement is both overpriced and underwhelming. so, i bought a pair of Morel MDT30 tweeters. hopefully they will mate well. wimslow audio uses the MDT29, but the folks at madisound said the 30 will fit the same and sound even better.

yeah, i read lilke 7 reviews on the 107 and 107/2 on stereophile online and all said that the tweeter detracted from an otherwise incredible loudspeaker.

beisdes, madisound has a great return policy, so worth a shot.

Robby

Quote:
Originally posted by salas
T33 was built to go lower and to take stick. It is not a great tweeter. Has lots of breakup and top octave is lacking.
Old 26th July 2006, 06:10 PM   #10
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

If you manage to mate it well, you will hear a way better HF with the Morel. If you dont have initial success ask for prof help from Madisound with crossover changes.

Hide this!Advertise here!