Hivi Q1R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Non linear distortion is not too bad , but there are some issues in it's response curve. That dip at 8kHz is going to be somewhat audible and music will seem a little dull.

That's unfortunate, because the build quality of the tweeter is good. It has a machined free flowing pole piece and a good damping pad on some spacers, scanspeak style. Overall though, if you want something cheap from Hi-Vi, I'd recommend the K1 instead.

(I'm not intentionally leaving tweeters off my web site, but I've tested a lot of tweeters before standardizing my methods in the current posted tests.)

Attachments

• hivi-q1r-fr.gif
    hivi-q1r-fr.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 613
Here's a link to my current project using the Q1R's.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71548

I took on baffle gated measurements at .5 meters, and nearfield ungated measurements. The 8khz dip did not show up on either tweeter, but there was a 10khz bump on both. Over time, the 10khz bump has almost vanished from the right speaker, but persists on the left. It's only 3db, so I'm not worrying about it right now.

I measured using both Speaker Workshop and Arta, with a Behringer ECM8000 mic.

I considered the K1, but though the faceplate was ugly.

Zaph/John: If you want to give these tweeters a second chance, I'll gladly send you both of mine for testing.

Dan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.