manger av

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello out there.
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Manger driver in an AV context. It's just that it seems to me that it would be the 'killer' application for this device as a center speaker. I think the only competition for it would be an an electrostatic transducer - but let's face it, they are far too big for putting on-top of the TV! If anyone has any opinions, or designs, let me know.

Manger has new central channel speaker MIDKICK, which will be available soon.

I have Philips TV with two small paper drivers and it sounds wery good, perhaps better choice for someone because the sound is more obtrusive and straightforward than with Manger (I think here it is useful).

The Manger has the advantage that there is no hum in lower male voices. It sounds pleasant but not vigorous.

Perfect for Center

Hello..

IMHO

Manger center is perfect for center speaker which reproduce most of dialogues or sounds in movie.

As a Manger dealer, I just have thought that Manger is good for vocal, piano, guitar...

But, after I read the "Acoustical reality", I finally understood "Why" bending wave is the ideal speakers.

If you are interested in "ideal reproduction of sound", this is "must" reading.

http://www.diyanything.com/Manger/data/acoustical_reality.pdf

Good luck..

I currently have Mangers in my main stereo system, flanking my TV and, frankly speaking, do not feel the need to have a central chennel :)
If you really want to do that, there are several things to consider:
1. Manger has very strong magnet assembly, which is not shielded.
2. It's not true, that 8 liters box is all it needs. 12-14 is more like it.
3. At high frequencies it becomes quite directional, so the sweet spot is going to be small, unless...
4. The best way to use it, would be to actually mount it IN the wall. Afters several years working with them, I'm convinced that the bigger the baffle - the better. This also takes care of the box size, lowers the resonance and Q. Beaming is lower too.
5. If you are thinking about passive XO - you would have to start at around 300-350 Hz (first order) and the caps would be huge. Better option IMO is to go active with 2nd order no lower than 200 Hz. With 4th order you can get away with 150 Hz. In this case you would be very close to resonance (in-box) and have to consider high Q (around 0.9) that will affect the response within the passband. The question is: is this low enough for central channel and do you need a woofer below this? Matching Manger to a woofer is not easy - just listen to 109.

All that said, I don't know of a better driver to naturally reproduce human voice.

VadimB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.