Does open baffle suffer from baffle step? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2006, 06:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Does open baffle suffer from baffle step?

Is there a right answer for this?
Old 16th July 2006, 07:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Yes and yes to both questions.
Old 16th July 2006, 09:25 PM   #3
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

If you mean a 6dB difference in SPL that occurs across a range of frequencies determined by the baffle width (typically a few hundred Hertz) before rolling off due to the box tuning, no it does not. The OB low frequency SPL rolls off below a value that is a function of the baffle size, this is where the front and rear waves start to cancel. Model a baffle in the EDGE program and switch back and forth between a box and an OB to see this effect.
Old 16th July 2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Well, I wouldn't call it a baffle step since the result of the baffle is a slope below a certain frequency. Maybe one could call it a baffle slope?

Anyway, the cause for this slope is similar to that of the baffle step. Sound from the edges of the baffle interfere with the direct sound from the driver. For the closed box this "edge sound" is diffraction/reflection of the sound that has travelled from the driver to the edge. For the open baffle this sound is twice as large, since the same amount of sound comes from the back of the driver (and is also diffracted at the edge around the corner).

Green is the baffle step for a certain closed box, red is the "baffle slope" for an open baffle of the same size. The identical baffle dimensions give rise to similar behaviour, eg the peak at 1 kHz and the dip at 2.8 kHz. The difference is that the closed box settles at 0 dB for low frequencies, whereas the open baffle slopes towards negatve infinity (dB) at 0 Hz.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th July 2006, 10:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Are there any rules of thumb for modifying BSC circuits (values for sealed boxes) for use on open baffles?
Old 16th July 2006, 10:32 PM   #6
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Edge models baffle response in free infinite space. A normally placed OB will have a large delayed backwave from the rear wall and, the bottom of the baffle being normally flush to the floor, a greater effective baffle size than the software's model captures. Both factors would accentuate the actual bass response relative to predicted.
Old 16th July 2006, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Are there any rules of thumb for modifying BSC circuits (values for sealed boxes) for use on open baffles?
Why would you want to add a filter? The BSC filter attenuates the SPL above the baffle step, I am not sure it is even applicable to an open baffle. I am not sure I understand what you would try and accomplish by adding a filter.
Old 16th July 2006, 10:43 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

So no BSC circuit is necessary for OB speakers?
Old 16th July 2006, 11:08 PM   #9

I am not using one, so I guess the answer is no. OB speakers are a different set of design challenges.
Old 17th July 2006, 08:01 AM   #10
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
check out this sofware

http://www.tolvan.com/edge/

for best results try to stop that baffle shaking - concrete / marble etc

also experiment with speaker chassis position using programme above to get optimum distribution of cancelation and edge effect.

Hide this!Advertise here!