Fried X-over - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2006, 06:42 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Corrections to the schematic

Quote:
Originally posted by mikebarney
bought a Fried Model H from Dave 3 or 4 years ago. I have two of these crossovers, both factory wired, and both almost identical (see below). There are some corrections to the schematic:
1. The 10 mfd cap in question is not in series with the mid, but is actually in parallel with the 10mfd/11 ohm resistor combo.
2. The 11 ohm resistors (all of them) are color banded as 10 ohm, although many measure about 11 ohms.
3. The large choke in the woofer is about 15mH, not 4.0, the DCR looks okay. This is a HUGE air core choke.
4. The tweeter polarity is reversed. I actually have two of these Model H crossovers, and one is wired as per Dave's schematic (positive tweeter polarity), and the other inverted. I've measured both ways and there is a big suckout at the 3K crossover frequency if the tweeter is wired as shown, indicating it is wired incorrectly.
I've actually just finished rebuilding one of the Model H crossovers (that had been trashed in shipping), and I'll post photos and details on my webpage shortly. Photos of the rebuilt cabinets are there now:
http://www.geocities.com/mpbarney/FriedmodelH.html
Good to have a 2nd set of eyes on this. Mike has the XOs i traced. I'll get these fixes into the schema (you probably mailed me the changes earlier, but, unfortunately the TL site is not as high a prority as i'd like...

dave
Old 13th July 2006, 07:12 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mike,

How does this look?

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 13th July 2006, 08:36 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Looks good!

Dave-
That revised schematic looks good.
Mike
Old 13th July 2006, 08:43 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default More info on Fried H crossover

I've updated my webpage with some photos and add'l info on my upgraded Model H crossover:
http://www.geocities.com/mpbarney/FriedHcrossover.html

My earlier page showing the cabinets after rebuilding/refinishing:
http://www.geocities.com/mpbarney/FriedmodelH.html

Mike

PS Zen Mod- I have lots of add'l info on the Fried H, including original cinstruction plans and instructions. Let me know if you'd like a copy. Do you have all of the correct drivers (T27, B110 SP1003, B200 SP1022)?
Old 13th July 2006, 08:54 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Mike,

I just added links to your pages from my page....

dave
Old 13th July 2006, 09:49 PM   #16
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Boyz-you are great!

hehe-funny thing is that I didn't realize in first moment that I have starting info exactly from Dave's pages ,and that he is responding about stuff on his pages in fact ........

Mike:

Quote:
PS Zen Mod- I have lots of additional info on the Fried H, including original construction plans and instructions. Let me know if you'd like a copy. Do you have all of the correct drivers (T27, B110 SP1003, B200 SP1022)?
as I said -this project is of friend of mine-I'm just too old for R'n'R and too young to die....in other words -with much more miles under my but than he , so I decide to help him .....same guy to whom I try to salvage X BOSOZ KK's preamp-Zen Moderating it more in Metalman's and other boyz fashion.....

anyway-he have B139s (dunno what SP they are...) ,appropriate SP of B110s and he decide to use Wifa ringiringi tweets instead of T27s (even if I have one pair of these ).

for start-I'll make ditto bass part of x-over,also exact like on schm for B110 ,and I'll start for tweets without 470n and RC series combo ,naturally with appropriate L pad for sensitivity leveling.....

I have more than pleasing xperience with LS3/5 lookalikes ages ago-I make mine with mentioned T27s and pair of EI Akustika ( part of this days EI concern) 5" ,and they are pretty like B110s in look,if not entirely in parameters.....for that time (even if each xover was almost big as 5,5L box) that was veeery nice sound,no matter with which sort of amp I choose to listen.....

just for sentimental reasons I didn't sell my preciouss pair of T27s ....interesting -they are originally from pair of pretty small ELAC TL boxes ,mated with 6" Elacs (then with rotten surround and half smeared VCs),with funny xovers made of tiny Elcos and chokes wounded on ferrite rods

if someone is interested-I drew little sketch of these boxes,not so long time ago.....

anyway-I'll be grateful for any additional info regarding Fried H boxes....they obviously are made with honest and ,as I like to say-"no bigger than life " approach
cheers!
ps.Mike-I'll take every info you have in electronic form;anything in hard copy is just to messy for you to send
Old 13th July 2006, 10:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Followup for Dave & Zen Mod...

Dave - Thanks for adding the link. I noticed you already updatwed the xover schematic.
Zen Mod - I sent 7 PDF files of Fried H info to the email listed ion your website. That should put you right to sleep...
Keep us posted on the project and post some photos.
Best regards,
Mike
Old 13th July 2006, 10:40 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Followup for Dave & Zen Mod...

Quote:
Originally posted by mikebarney
Dave - Thanks for adding the link. I noticed you already updatwed the xover schematic.
Zen Mod - I sent 7 PDF files of Fried H info to the email listed ion your website. That should put you right to sleep...
Keep us posted on the project and post some photos.
Best regards,
Mike

whoa! (blue car! )

about 10 Megs! ....an I'm still on dial-up.....

doesn't matter-I'll download that later,after typin-readin session....

tnx again

I plan to put one dedicated page on my small site when everything will be finished.......
I expect in next few months ( my younger pal will be Papa for first time soon hehe..........)

now I'm gona hit my "receive " button .......
Old 13th July 2006, 11:49 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

more than 10 Megs,in fact !

all 7 pieces received

TNX again-I'm thrilled!

now on reading...........
Old 14th July 2006, 12:20 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Glad you got them okay. NT

nt

Hide this!Advertise here!