Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2006, 08:47 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Very nice, Richie. I had a look at your linked site, too. You've been busy!! OT: Will your soft start handle a 1000VA trafo?

Cheers

Jon
Old 27th July 2006, 08:53 AM   #12
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Yes 1kVA would be no problem. It depends on specific components used, but these are easy enough to obtain from main suppliers in the UK. The design is currently going through a slight improvement and will be on the site very soon hopefully.
Old 31st July 2006, 10:48 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Cheers Richie - I've been away for a few days, sorry for the late reply.

Jon
Old 1st August 2006, 06:55 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Those look fabulous Jon.

I built a pair of S3s last year, but I cheated and bought the pre-veneered kit... but I did have to glue it together, and veneer the fronts and backs

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp00203kd.jpg

http://img354.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcp00149xc.jpg
Old 9th August 2006, 07:14 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Nice One!

Hey Dik, those are very nice looking S3s! What resistor values do you use in your crossover and how do you find the sound??

Cheers

Jon
Old 10th August 2006, 12:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jon.
I use Ivans recommended 10 ohm tweeter resistor. I was fully expecting to play around with different values and to have to experiment with line damping etc, but to my ears it sounds beautifully balanced as it is. I might experiment one day, but for now I'm very happy=)
As for how they sound.... these are my first experience with t-lines and ribbon tweeters, but I have to say I am very impressed. Bass has a lovely "free and easy" feel to it that can shake the windows, but NO boom. It is textured and tuneful.
The ribbon tweeter is a real honey, very fast and open with absolutely no harshness, and seem to integrate with the mid very well to my ears.
They are also an easy load, I drive mine with a Glasshouse 300b SET amp and get all the volume I need with great imaging and fabulous bass in my small room.
I am very happy with 'em.
Old 10th August 2006, 04:41 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Nice one, Dik! I forgot to mention in my previous post that I used the 8R2 network that the previous builder used, but s/he had built the speakers with a ported cabinet. I'm tempted to try the 10R now for completeness - might be missing something although the speakers do sound great with a weighty presentation and fine detail from the ribbon. I've done around the 20 hrs that Ivan suggested for run in, but I'm sure the presentation will evolve over the coming months.

I run mine with a pair of Arcam D290P power amps (bridged mono), but am also hoping to try out some chip amps in the future just to see.

Cheers

Jon
Old 11th August 2006, 08:03 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Revised Crossovers

Hi All,

I changed to 10R in the crossovers (just one snip in the resistor network) and took the opportunity to replace the speakers properly using the excellent room resonance/speaker placement spreadsheet from acoustica.org.

Result? I have a more natural sound than before and the soundstage is improved. Overall, really worthwhile, and, while the S3TLMs sounded very nice before, I think a positive improvement has been gained by using the 10R resistors in the crossover.

Cheers

Jon
Old 11th August 2006, 09:55 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Nice one Jon=)
What type of resistor did you use? i'm thinking of trying a couple of the mills 12watt wirewounds instead of the sand cast? type that come as standard.
Old 12th August 2006, 06:23 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi Dik,

These are the sand cast type, I believe. White, ceramic body. You can see a pair taped together in the crossover photo at the top of the thread. I believe these were standard issue with the IPLs, but Ivan has completely updated the kits with new drivers and crossovers. I don't know if the cabinet design has changed at all.

"t" on these forums has just built a pair, I'll ask what comes in the box.

Cheers

Jon

Hide this!Advertise here!