Nearfield listening

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello All,

At this time, I have a pair of MAudio BX5s playing from my PC. The nearfield experience is fantastic for sound, imaging, depth of soundstage, etc.

I was wondering, can I expect the same nearfield sound from a pair of home audio speakers? Are they actually made any differently? I simply cannot see how it would make a difference unless there is some built-in delay mechanism to control the timing on powered studio monitors since they are expected to be heard from a close distance.

I would try this myself, but I would have to fabricate TRS to RCA cables to do it, and I don't have any extra TRS connectors around right now.

Thanks!
Paul

i wouldn't expect to have any difference in near field unless there were more than one transducer involved.

then, the lobing involved would have to be designed around near field or to a specific distance within given design characteristics.

a single speaker, however, will have sound waves proprigating from its focal point in its unique way and the distance to which it is listened at wouldn't make difference beyond your normal room interactions.

just a thought though, i can't see any design characteristics that would be unique to near field as opposed to far field other than room reflections.

actually... if you think about it, on near field you might be inclinded to focus more on off axis performance since the majority of the time you wouldn't be sitting perfectly still in the perfect sweet spot,

but that can be attributed to both near field and far field.

???

exhausted mule said:

actually... if you think about it, on near field you might be inclinded to focus more on off axis performance since the majority of the time you wouldn't be sitting perfectly still in the perfect sweet spot,

but that can be attributed to both near field and far field.

There is still a sweet spot as long as yu maintain that 1:1.1 ratio of distance within the listening triangle. Though this decreases the soundstage tremendously if you only sit 3 feet from the monitors of course. :)

lndm said:
There is also the issue of baffle step diffraction. This effect is not noticed close up as it is at a distance. Any speaker that was designed to be used away from a wall and has the baffle compensated for, may sound a little bassy close up.

Hmm, ok. Good point. i'm almost positive Krutke integrated a baffle step into the crossover design of this one. I'll read his design notes.

Thanks guys!

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.