Dayton Reference Series

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning a pair of MTM home theater speakers. I purchased Peerless 850439 and Vifa D27TG35-06 drivers for the first two units. I planned to use these with a subwoofer consisting of two 15" Titanics with a 1000W plate amplifier. I have become interested in the new Dayton reference series drivers, and I am investigating them as a possible replacement for my existing drivers. Based on the specs and performance data available from forums, the RS150S-8 seems to be a lower distortion driver that will likely be more detailed than the 850439. I also like the price of the RS150 compared to the 850439. I can purchase all of the Dayton drivers needed for less than the cost of the remaining Peerless drivers needed to complete my system. This seems like a good choice of drivers for me to use instead of the Peerless driver. Does anyone have any comments?

I have also read many good things about the RS28AS-4. I am concerned about the frequency response plots. The data provided by PE shows a 5-6 dB roll off before 20 kHz. It looks questionable that the unit is rated up to 20 kHz. Also, the 30-degree off axis response separates from the on axis response by more than 7 dB below 15 kHz. I understand that most adults can’t hear much above 15 kHz. By some fluke of nature, I still can. I am worried about this unit’s response above 10 kHz. Does anyone have any comments?

I am looking for information from anyone who has additional data or working experience with these drivers to help compare the Dayton units to the Peerless/Vifa drivers I started with. Also, I have seen some information suggesting the the Peerless and Vifa units have been obsoleted. I purchased these drivers two yesrs ago, and I am just now returnign to the project.

You seem to be worried about the 15-20khz range. Lets say that you can hear out to 20khz (I can because i'm 16) if you are hearing it with the intensity that i can it causes quite a bit of pain if I play just test tones. I have to pad my tweeters down a lot because it hurts my ears on cymbal crashes. So you might actually like the sound of the RS28 because it already has this dip so it might sound more pleasant to you. Same thing with the off axis dispersion. Basically you aren't missing any information in the recording if that's what you're worried about but it'll simply be softer which might go towards taming some "brightness"

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure I don't hear all the way up to 20kHz. What I do know is that I replaced some old vifa tweeters with flat on-axis response beyond 20kHz with a Dayton silk dome model. The result sounds dull to me. I don't want to have a similar experience with the speakers I plan to listen to every day. I need to check out the Seas tweeters.

I am also concerned about the continued availability of the drivers I may need for repair or additional units. I can't seem to get a straight answer from the DIY distributors regarding the availability of Peerless and Vifa drivers. Tymphany lists the parts as discontinued but Parts Express, Madisound, and Speaker City continue to sell them. I would assume that the distributors are selling off their remaining stock. I don't want to start this project with drivers that will not be available if I have a problem or want to build another set.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.