More-way = better?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is all based on good design,

easliest - full range no cross over, suffers from beaming at high frequencies if not compensated, lack of bass response if not designed as transmission line...

medium - 2 way x-over, if properly design will sound as good as 3 way.

hard - 3 way x-over hardest to design, if well designed, will sound wonderful...

It's all boils down to personal tastes...each design will sound different based on topology(1, 2 or 3 way) and types of drivers used... and these tastes will varies with time and at the time one is listening....

Each design has its advantages and disadvantages too long to mention here...

A mix of 3-way plus a high efficiency fullrange IMO sounds great.

Even though you have mid's and highs, on a multi way system, a full range speaker seems to do voice more clearly and accurately than tweets or mids because the frequencies are not seperated in the midrange.

That way..........

3-way speakers play the Upper Bass, Mids, and Highs (50hz -20khz)

Fullrange plays broad range of midbass, voice, and highs (150Hz - 10Khz)

Sub plays Low Bass (20Hz-100Hz)

You get the fullrange sound, but without any lack of bass or treble.

EWorkshop1708 said:
A mix of 3-way plus a high efficiency fullrange IMO sounds great.

Even though you have mid's and highs, on a multi way system, a full range speaker seems to do voice more clearly and accurately than tweets or mids because the frequencies are not seperated in the midrange.

That way..........

3-way speakers play the Upper Bass, Mids, and Highs (50hz -20khz)

Fullrange plays broad range of midbass, voice, and highs (150Hz - 10Khz)

Sub plays Low Bass (20Hz-100Hz)

You get the fullrange sound, but without any lack of bass or treble.

My main speakers are designed with that in mind. I have two 6.5" woofers running 4 ohms for bass, a RS 40-1354 running wide band (sans whizzer), and a Rat Shack cone tweet for extended highs. The 1354 is in its own enclosure within the cabinet (the cabinet's i.d. is 1.5 cu ft. tuned to 50hz) The x-over points are 400hz and 9khz.

The results are pretty spectacular. The 1354 makes a great wideband speaker in this application. The x-over slope is 6db w/ an Erse open air coil for the bass roll off and I'm using poly caps for the mids and tweets. Given that I bought most of the drivers on clearance long ago, the caps and coilsare easily the most expensive components of the project, but they are very worth it.

How many ways is my system then?

There are standard crossovers that brings in a high dispersion tweeter at 3000hz and an aluminium coned dedicated bass for thump below 330hz

The jordan runs full range except everything has bas rolled off to MJ subwoofer below 100hz by the amp.

The result is amazing in terms of dynamics and detail - can't fault it. I am currently building a pair of Jordan mini monitors to compare it to (and for use with an electronic keyboard).

Mkaay.... But I guess 5 or 6-way is no use for home needs, huh? Unless I want to go deaf. :) But one I know, speakers which are made for specific frequencies reproduce those particular frequencies better than wide-rande speakers. Even drivers with very similar specs sound much different (driven by the same amp). So I think it is important to know what frequncies does a particular driver reproduce the best.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.