Strange situation with Fane bass drivers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2002, 09:17 PM   #1
Bull is offline Bull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Strange situation with Fane bass drivers

I got a pair of Fane Collossus 15 XB rated 600w rms,i got them second hand for very cheap the pair 20 pair.I think they're blown
but now i'll definatly need 2 re-cones.

I tested them to a source that was definatly working,no sound at all.The cones move strangely don't move at all if you push them in,and move a lot if u push them out[by hand].
Stupidly i cut them open to see whether or not the voice coil has burnt out.The voice coil looks fine,except for orangey-brown grease smeared all over the pole pice,the coil is attached by silver braids,they are attached properly to the gold push terminals on the frame.The magnet is not damaged or warped in any way.WHY isn't there a sound out of the drivers,not even a whisper.I try a different driver my Eminence Beta 15 and the amp works fine and plays loudly.
1. do you know why it doesn't work.I think either the coils are corroded,the magnet has lost it's magnetic stength,or the tinsal leads are not making good connection.
2. Any way i'll have to re-cone them,but is it worth spending, lets say 50 recone when i only paid 20 pair for the drivers.

I would have thought that if the speakers makes no sound,that the coil look black,but i looks like fresh copper.
Please could someone tell me what is the problem with the drivers and how much a recone for the FANE COLLOSSUS 15 XB would cost for each driver,including vat.
Old 3rd December 2002, 09:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Bull

It sounds like the coils are burnt out, and that greasy stuff you noticed is the resin used to bond the coils, melted out.

Recones would be a minimum of 30 to 40 per driver at a guess, if you can get them.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!