Centre Sheilding - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2002, 10:13 PM   #11
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
the only thing that 'may' happen is the cable singing, from vibrations
Unlikely, as Newtons Laws mean the cabinet and driver when regarded as a whole, should stay stationary. But if you do find a problem, you could damp the wires by wrapping cloth around them.

There is no sound transmissions in space as there is no meduim for the to be carried by, so just about every sci-fi movie you ever saw should have completely silent space battles!!! Communication in space is done by radio or lasers, as these emit particles to carry sound. ( apart from the current debate about the accuracy of the Mitchelson & Morley expt, for the physicists amongst us)

The speakers look cool, but gold.... euuuurgh...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 6th December 2002, 10:25 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

all systems go, where go for launch! hehe

an airborn system, does anyone one else have an argument why this may not work, or will be a complete success? any theries on the purpose of a stand and what else it does apart from getting tweeter/enclosure at ear level and looking good?

might get some custom graphis on boxes - *** (Airborn Surround System) lol, this is great,

Alex
Old 7th December 2002, 05:25 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Love the speakers!

You call that gold though? Looks like copper on my monitor, but that's ok becaue I like copper color better anyhow. Gold is just SO old these days, it's used for everything hehe.

Getting back to the shielding question for the center, it's possible you may not need it. Certainly if you suspend the center above the TV you won't, but even in my case, I did not. My center speaker is standing up behind the TV, rather than laying on top of the TV. This means the woofer magnets are then several inches further behind the front baffle of the speaker, and a couple feet above the back of the TV. I also noticed that my TV (Panasonic superflat from 1994) is much less sensitive to magnetic fields in the rear than it is anywhere along the perimeter of the front of the tube. This makes sense - the electron gun is in the rear and the beam has very high strength and intensity when it originates, but is much weaker and thus easier to deflect just before it hits the phosphor on the front.

Anyhow, long story short, if you aren't using super magnet woofers (mine are 6.5", probably 12 oz magnet or so), and your speaker is behind and above the TV, you may not need shielding at all! Usually it doesn't hurt to test. If you get a discoloration on the tube, usually unplugging the set and leaving it unplugged for a while before reconnecting it, will let the discoloration go away. Some TV's even have a degaussing feature which demagnitizes the CRT.

Keep up the cool looking speakers! They're very similar to some I'm putting together this weekend, at least in shape, if not color. My port is going on the front though, not enough room in back!

Aaron Gilbert
Old 7th December 2002, 07:40 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_B
yes i've heard about it altering the response but after a little googling i read that you can get reverse magnet's? to put onto the driver and a shielding cup over it? are such a devices available at a reasonable price?
What you are describing is a bucking magnet. Ideally a magnet of the same strength, placed on the back of the existing magnet -- they should repel as they approach and then when they get close suck together. You glue this on and then to improve it further a can (even a tin can) over everything to help tie the fields togther.

This tends to lower your Qts (by raising the midband efficiency) and is what they do on A/V drivers.

The mumetal acts as a shield, by being very permeable, the flux lines tend to want to follow the metal.

The mumetal foil i have is fairly light, just over $3 to mail 2 12"x6" sheets to Oz.

dave
Old 7th December 2002, 08:21 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

is that snail mail where it takes 8wks to get here, or airmail?

DEFINATLY INTERESTED email me about the total cost for 2x 12"x6" sheets, and paymeny options (paypal?). Rather it sent by normal (not express) airmail if it isn't too pricey,

Alex
Old 7th December 2002, 11:00 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_B
is that snail mail where it takes 8wks to get here, or airmail?
It is skinny & light enuff it just goes as 1st class mail which is air. Haven't sent any to Oz but it usually takes 4-7 days to get to Europe. Xmas may or may not slow things down.

Quote:
DEFINATLY INTERESTED email me about the total cost for 2x 12"x6" sheets, and paymeny options (paypal?). Rather it sent by normal (not express) airmail if it isn't too pricey,
Info is all here

I can take paypal, but not officially. I'll send a mail so we can touch base.

dave
Old 8th December 2002, 08:25 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND ADVICE GUYS! ! !

don't know where i'd be without ya,

If others are interested -> im getting some MU Metal to sheild the two C17's on the centre, but may still have an airborn system, msking up the sub at the moment and will make fronts, centre, rears as money allows,

merry xmass

Alex

Hide this!Advertise here!