Fostex 206 or 207? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2006, 09:11 AM   #1
joval1 is offline joval1  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex 206 or 207?

Hi All, just joined today so I guess 'hello' to everyone out there.

A good friend of mine convinced me that an SE amp is the way to go and judging from the threads in this forum, he is most probably right. So I bought a SE Minuet EL34 tube (www.sacthailand.com) amp and listened to it with an old pair of Wharfedale bookshelf speakers. My verdict is the treble is superb but the bass is simply not there. Same friend advised me that I need to compliment it with a Fostex FE206 to really get the best out of the SE. He's got the Se+206 combination but the problem is he now lives in Australia and I have no way of knowing if it will really suit my taste. I also learned from the threads in here that the 207 is an option. So I will really appreciate any advise on this subject. I listen mainly to soft rock (crowded house, steely dan, eagles etc), a bit of jazz, sometimes classical/jazz (jacques loussier) and recently enjoyed listening to big bands using my new SE.

and oh this is my very first speaker project......
Old 3rd July 2006, 09:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Depends what you do with it. The 206 is better horn-loaded -it needs more correction in other enclosures than the 207. Have a look in the projects section at www.quarter-wave.com for more.
Old 3rd July 2006, 09:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Caveat
FOstex 206 has no bass at all. So if your amp has no bass there the will be a problem. Perhaps check with the sac chaps why there is no bass from their units. Also from experience el34 bass is often light in se, tight and control but not much in volume
. So this might be a tube related sonics
Also preamp makes alot of difference here. Getting the right preamp will certainly boost or help you in the bass area
Cheers
Nicholas
Old 3rd July 2006, 10:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, I beg to differ that the 206 has no bass at all. Correctly loaded, it does. Like most very low Q drivers though, it's very easily over-damped by the amplifier, so really, you need a current source, a T-amp, or an SE or DHT valve amp. On the whole, I'd still favour the 207, as it's much easier to work with, but the 206 can shift air pretty well if you design the enclosure properly, and feed it with the kind of power it likes.
Old 7th July 2006, 03:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advise. Am inclined to go for the 207 mainly because I'll place it beside the TV. Now am considering two types of enclosure; Fostex's recommended DBR and Martin K's virtual MLTL. Has anybody actually build the MLTL for a pair 207? and is it really essential to have the stuffing and the BSC in it?
Old 7th July 2006, 03:33 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

i was using a 2a3, 300b dht in se with the fostex in a MLTL filled with dacron and a back loaded horn( big one , forget the name) and a jericho. Both did not have the bass. Perhaps there is a enclosure with bass. So far from what i heard from from the 3 boxes, don't expect bass from 206. It goes low but does not have the weight

CHeers
NIcholas
Old 7th July 2006, 12:53 PM   #7
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

A couple comments.

1. You should not expect subwoofer type bass from an 8" full range driver. You can get decent bass to about 40 Hz that works with acoustic music. Heavy Metal or hard rock may not be the best choice of music for this type of speaker.

2. The only way, in my opinion, to get the best bass output is with a properly designed and implemented correction circuit. No circuit, no bass. That is really the bottom line with a single full range driver in most enclosure designs. The exceptions to this rule are rare.

3. The 207 will require less correction compared to the 206 and probably produce more satisfying bass. The 206 will produce more detail at the expense of bass.

4. In my opinion, and I have stated this in another thread, half your problem is the low powered tube amp. I use higher powered SS amps with my Lowthers (similar design issues as 206 and 207) and with a correction circuit this combination works well. Bass is acceptable but not house shaking.
Old 17th July 2006, 08:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for the advise - very useful. I've been told by my supplier in Oz that they now have the 207 and 206 in stock and I now have to make a decision.

I am not expecting the bass to go down the sub woofer level in fact I don't want to go down that low but I have no feel for what 40hz sounds like, so:

1. would a 'normal' two-way floor standing speaker (eg B&W, JBL)give 40 hz? if yes then I will be happy if I can get the 206 or 207down to same level

2. how badly would the 206 magnets affect my 42" rear projection TV ?

I will very appreciate your advise.

Cheers
Old 17th July 2006, 10:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Bass

If you like bass you will not get much from an 8 inch driver with 1.5mm of xmax. You will get very little floor gain with the driver at ear height and most likely little gain from other room boundaries if the speakers are positioned to maximize their other attributes.

The only other option if you must use this driver is horn loading.

I would recommend trying one or two well built, active subwoofers crossed at about 80Hz. They will free up the fostex drivers to do what they do best and you can turn them off if you prefer some recordings without them.
Old 17th July 2006, 05:05 PM   #10
soufiej is offline soufiej  United States
diyAudio Member

Rear projection TV's are not bothered by speaker magnets. You should only have to be concerned with interference from speakers when using a CRT.

The question is not what 40Hz sounds like but rather what 40Hz sounds like through various speakers. At that frequency you are just below the (average) lowest frequency of an electric bass, so if you are familiar with live music, you can make a better comparison. Not a lot happens in the next lowest octave, though if you listen to music which exploits the lowest octave(s), you will consider what does happen there to be of extreme importance. However, what 40Hz sounds like through a Klipsch, a Harbeth, an IMF and a JBL are not the same. Given your two examples, I would guess you are looking for a more "powerful" 40Hz than many speakers provide.

Hide this!Advertise here!