Ripping out a crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a pair of Acoustic Energy AESPIRIT 309s.
A nice 3 way 96db/w rated for 200w.

I was wondering about having a bit of a play. The crossover is easily accesible.

To make it an active crossover do I need to do anything but connect the pre-amp direct to the crossover then the outputs of the crossovers to one of each of the three channels of my amp then to the cones?

So preamp --> crossover(removed from speaker and unmodified) --> power amps --> cones.

Does anyone have any advice or good tips?

The amp I use is the Rotel RB-991 &993. this is a very powerful amp rated at 200w into 8 ohms. Will this cause any problem or do I want a weaker amp?

as I only have enough amps for the 1 speaker for this to be done. If I try it and it works what is reccomened for the treble?
I assume a powerful amp is unnecessary to run a tweeter. I was thinking about a T-amp for that.

Again any other advice offered.

Thanks.

:D

I think you will get problems, because you will then load your preamp with a very low impedance. And then again, the crossover is designed to "look" into a pair of speakers at, lets just say 4ohm, and now it will look into, say 20Kohm, you won't even have a clue what frequencies the crossover splits at this way.
Sorry, i can't give you a long technical explanation, but i'm sure it will sound very strange :D

Cheers
Ebbe

Here's one trick: pull the crossovers out of the cabinets, and place them in a wooden, plastic, or aluminium box on the floor behind the speaker. The wiring isn't hard to do -wire the drivers directly to the terminal panels, and link between the crossover and the speaker cabinet. Presto; a DIY external crossover, a la the top Living Voice speakers. Doing this removes the crossover from the harsh internal environment of the cabinet -vibration and stray magentic fields are not a good thing. Makes a surprising difference if you do it right.

In truth the speakers are a little bright.
Would swopping to fatter wire open up the bass a bit?

If it is the wire I think it might be, it was appaling!
Swopping from Shark to Black Rhodium made one of my test tracks that was previously unitelligble, easy to understand!

Do you think it would be worth contacting the company to ask?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.