baffle step in serial filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some help with the filter.

First some fact's

I build a speaker with the following drivers:
scanspeak d2905/97000 tweeter
vifa pl11wh09 4" midwoofer
scanspeak 18w/8545-00 6,5" woofer

They are build in a 1 meter high pvc pipe with a 19 cm diameter.
The front is small (13 cm) with nice rond edges.
The vifa unit is build in a closed enclosere and works until 160 hz (filterd by enclosure only).
The woofer is downfiring and is filtered with 6 db paralell at 160hz

At first several filter design between tweeter and midwoofer were having a peak in the 1500-2500hz region.
I tried parallel and serial filters of various orders and designs.
Adding a coil of various values for baffle step compensation in a 6 db serial config. didn't solve my problem.
At last i got a very good result ( by ear) with a 6db serial filter crossed at 3000 khz with no baffle step comp.

At this point i am not satisfied with the downfiring woofer and the sound in the lower frequencies. I also suspect that the midwoofer has to work very hard in the lower frequencies, so i want to cross it at a higher frequency. So i am planning to build a new enclosure (probably mdf) where the woofer is in the front baffle.

Now the question:
If i let the midwoofer start where the baffle step begin's (somewhere at 600hz still needs to be checked), can i ajust the higher level due to baffle step merely by adding a resister or l-pad to the midwoofer ( because the increase in output level due to baffle step only affects the midwoofer?)

Should i also cross where the baffle step stop's? (around 2500 Hz)
so only the mid woofer is affected with baffle step compensation)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.