MDF cut with CNC machine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Westrock2000 said:
I like that guy...he took a novel approach to speakers and he drives a scooby WRX!

Keith has done some interesting projects.

The WRX is too off & on (turbo lag) to be really practical or much fun in traffic. I much prefer my Legacy wagon. If you want fast get one with the six (althou mine is plenty fast enuff to get me in trouble -- fortuneatly white station wagons tend to be invisible :D )

daev

Ah, but wait until the highway..

My Saab likewise hates traffic. However, advancing the timing 4 degrees farther than stock really makes it a rocket off the line by comparison to stock. Also helps that my Saab has the shortest gearing of any 9000T (to my knowledge). There's just way too much drivetrain backlash and sensitivity to make it fun in stop and go traffic though.

Once she's out on the open road, watchout! I rarely downshift unless I'm passing on a two lane highway, and then it's typically only one gear, otherwise I'll hit the rev limiter before I'm done passing. :) I'm running more boost than a WRX, by the way. But then, my car is heavier.

Aaron Gilbert
http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/saab.html

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Wow that guys page is amazing, especially the measurment part. I will definently stay away the Apex Jr ribbon :D , but I am extremely impressed with the new vifa "concentric ring" tweeter, that thing is rock solid from 2K all the way up.

Now that thread jacking is cleared up... :D

Are you implying that you don't like the WRX simply because it has a turbo or that the turbo itself is not very responsive? Doesn't it have a smallish turbo like a KKK (for passerby's this KKK is a european turbo company not the KKK from the hills) equivalent of the Garret T25, which should be about as responsive as any turbo out there. You want a real traffic pleaser, try N/A 4 cylinders. Gotta drop a gear just to get passing speed. I think my next car will be a turbo'ed 4, my current is staying N/A just to learn the basics, but I'm pondering a 98-99 CRV next, that way I can use all the knowledge I have now and still have the stealthiness and advantages of a (small) SUV. Although I do love wagons too, especially a nice Audi or BMW variety. I hope I grow out of the car thing someday, I got into DIY audio cause building engines and cars is WAY to expensive for this 21 yr old. :( :bawling:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Westrock2000 said:
Are you implying that you don't like the WRX simply because it has a turbo or that the turbo itself is not very responsive? Doesn't it have a smallish turbo like a KKK (for passerby's this KKK is a european turbo company not the KKK from the hills) equivalent of the Garret T25, which should be about as responsive as any turbo out there.

Keith and a couple other guys were talking about the WRX on another Forum. This was their feeling from actual use -- i just did a test drive.

Seems as i get older the more & more i like stealth -- i'd rather spend my money on other things than cars too -- like hifi.

And for around here the flat-4 doesn't get outdragged very often, and the all wheel drive is a godsend in the rain. And it is nice pushing it up the mountain (i live at the end of 7 km of lovely paved twisties)

dave

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I have seen and listened to those speakers and they are made from ply not MDF. I think one of the reasons Keith made them out of ply was so that they would look so cool after finish was applied.
I imagine he had the pieces cut ( if he didn't do it himself ) at a shop in Alberquerque since he lives close to there.

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Thatch_Ear said:
I have seen and listened to those speakers and they are made from ply not MDF. I think one of the reasons Keith made them out of ply was so that they would look so cool after finish was applied.
I imagine he had the pieces cut ( if he didn't do it himself ) at a shop in Alberquerque since he lives close to there.

I like that way that the baltic birch plywood came out in the finish. What are your listening impressions?

--
Brian

baltic birch

I'm also interested in your sonic impression of the BB.

This is rather a labour intensive project to do in both MDF and ply for comparison, but I've done a simpler cabinet design in both and definitely have a preference.

If dealing with CNC machine shop north of '49 is a bit of a problem, how about Terry Cain (Walla Walla)

http://cain-cain.hypermart.net/

I'm not sure that he has a CNC, but he could perhaps refer to someone nearby.

waaaa! i did it the hard way. no lathe forget about cnc lathe.

assuming you are using 25mmMDF and your cabinets are 24" tall you need about 50 pcs for a pair. it also wastes a lot of wood.

my cabinets are twice as tall and i would have needed 100pcs give or take a few. hence i did it the easy way. i bent the wood.

confused between the strenght of ply and the fact that everyone else was using MDF i used alternate sheets of ply and mdf. bending the wood also pre stresses the wood and actually made it stiffer. now i am in the proess of applyinf a resin bonded fiberglass coat to the inside for strength. dave has a few pics i setn him. i hate ot clog the net with un nessacary pics. besides from india my bandwidth is kinda limited.

just and alternate method to do things esp if you dont have a lot of power tools. I have none.

power tools

Navin; no power tools, but access to digicam and internet?

It'd be very interesting to compare the "sound" of your stressed shell cabinets vs standard construction technique (monkey coffins as "gizmo" used to say:D ) for the same system. But, I guess any design requiring the former construction technique would preclude a direct comparison.

The closest I can think of is the commercial products by B&O, there are several models in the N800 series (802-804 I think), that have essentially similar models in the CDM(?) series. Assuming comparable quality in the components and the only audible differences are due to the cabinet construction - big difference.

I've heard several comparable models of both series in familiar surroundings (not my own system, but well known to me) and the Nautilus cabinets are substantially better - cleaner and more extended bass, but most particularly just a bigger, less boxed in stage and sense of dynamics.

keep us apprised of your progress

anyone else have experience to share with the stiff/light school of cabinet construction?

New KEF

Attachments

• kef.jpg
    kef.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 220
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.