Need help with Realistic Nova-7b crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a pair of early 70s vintage Radio Shack Realistic Nova-7b speakers from a yard sale. Apparently the previous owner modified them and the crossover. The 8 inch woofer was still there but the dual tweeters were replaced with a piezo and midrange(?) From what I understand the original tweeters were wired in series but this guy cut the wires and changed it to have both tap off of the woofer's wire seperately.

The crossover was modified probably because both caps were bad. What I am having a hard time is understanding why the crossover is designed the way it is. There is a 1 mHy inductor but it is not wired in with the woofer like one would expect. Also where did the tweeter wire go?

Attachments

• crossover_back_3d.jpg
    crossover_back_3d.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 250
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A lot of RS speakers had second order x-over on their tweeters and no x-over at all on the woofer.

The original tweeters were connected to the bottom of the switch which provided two levels of tweeter attenuation, the other end of the string of tweeters being connected to the grounds.

Yeah I was surprised to see the capacitor like that. The other one is blown out the other end.

I forgot the front side of the crossover so here is a picture showing the switch with sound options.

In the first picture I forgot to add that the yellow wire was hooked to the woofer and there were two blue wires wrapped around a stripped part of the the yellow wire a few inches away from the crossover. I get the feeling that one of the blue wires was soldered to the bottom switch and he ripped it off to bypass the blown cap.

Attachments

• crossover_front_1b.jpg
    crossover_front_1b.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 159
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.