DIY Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody

I am new to this site and new to DIY period. Being new to DIY I am restricting myself to "kits" as I wouldn't have any clue how to design a crossover on my own. One kit that is my leader right now is the exodus 2641 from DIY cable http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=24_92&products_id=571 . I use the Nuforce ref 9 amplifier and would like to take advantage of their ability to drive low impedance speakers. The above kit has a nominal impedance of 6 ohm. Although, ideally I would like to have an even lower impedance speaker.

What are your thoughts on the above kit? Has anyone had experience with this kit? Has anyone modded the crossover components with this kit? In your opinion are there better kits?

One thing that has shyed me away from the Raw Accoustic kits is the Ribbon tweeter. I have never heard a ribbon tweeter before but have heard the Usher tweeter in the 2461 and really like it. Thank you for reading my thread and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Mick,

I would call Al at RAW and see what he can do about the tweeter. I too am a fan of the dome over the ribbon (flame on). Al has used the Usher before and may be able to easily incorporate it again for you. That way you're dealing Canadian.

I have seen this and similar configurations. In fact I have some Extremis, WR's and the AC G3si tweet sitting on a shelf waiting for an inspiration. I have not seen the XO but if Kevin is following Dan's wealth of knowledge, it will be substantial. (read: great big bag of parts, 4th order electrical)

EDIT: Oh ya, I don't think you'll have trouble with the sound.

Mike.
Funny how people look at a ribbon and shy away:xeye:

The narrow ribbon we use has a better frequency responce and more controled off axis better than the Usher as well as most other dome tweeters
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attached is a frequency response as well as waterfall of the Usher dome and a Aurum Cantus G2Si not our ribbon.
These tests were done by Mark K and were not intented for use but these files are posted for the public on his site.

We will say that the test is a very close as the Usher is the 9950 not the 9950 C.

As for the designs This 2641 from DIY Cable was designed by Kevin and not Dan from Adire.
And Kevin has done a great job with the design in gereral.

Cal just for you.
We have a new dome we are testing and may offer ti in some designs.

The OW4 platinum!

And no flame intented:whazzat:

Thanks for the responses guys. I am no expert by any means but I would think that there would be other characteristics to a tweeter other than the frequency response and off-axis performance.

I may have not been totally accurate in my knowledge of the tweeter. The tweeter I am familiar with is the one in the Usher 6 series line (9950-20). I would imagine that this tweeter would be rather similiar. I know that the crossover components play a large role in the end result but the thing that I liked about the Usher 6371 tweeter that I have heard is the great resolution without being overly harsh, and the sense of air (that was a long sentence). I don't know if the Exodus 2461 would be able to approach this. However, something that I felt was lacking in the Usher 6371 was bass (granted was in a very soft absorbing room). I thought that the 2461 with the dual driver would supply a large amount of bass. I am actually more concerned about the mid on the 2461. I thought it may get overshadowed. Like I said in my first post I am new to this.

The Exodus 2461 kit is actually available here in Canada.
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=KIT2641

Thank you everybody,

Mike

Great GG I didn't realize there were that many Peggers on here. Oh, wait its Winnipeg, I should have known better. We all know there would be no way any kind of HiFi expo would ever be held here but DIY is right up Winnipeg's alley. I will be certain to check this out. I doubt I would have anything to bring but if it is in the fall who knows. I do have an Adire Tumult but I didn't make it myself and it is way too heavy (150lbs).

Thanks,
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.