Advice on 2 way system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm planning to build a 2 way speaker system to upgrade from the old Hitachi speakers I have now. I want to make a good sounding system on a rather tight budget (~AUD$250). I want to make one with crisp highs and an Fs of less than 60Hz. The attached file has all the info on it. I have used a design program called Blaubox to design it. I am looking at a RedBack 8" woofer (http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=C3088) and a Vifa VF020A (http://www.speakerbits.com.au/net/catalogs/showpic1.aspx?ID=VF020A). I have already purchased the tweeter. In other's experiences, is a 2 way system using an 8 inch woofer powerful enough? I have not seen reviews or anything for these drivers but they look like they are good quality. What do you think of the design? I listen to mostly Metal/Rock/Jazz music. Much Thanks, Nic.

Attachments

• speaker nic2.jpg
    speaker nic2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 232
2 way system..

ok, so I think in CDN$... so 20% less, about $200 cdn or $185 USD hmmm.
so you have already purchased the tweeters..so does your budget reflect what you can spend after the tweeters or before?

Those drivers will cost ya $120 AUD.. now some cross overs..and enclosures. What are you using for enclosures?, Can you build or are you salvaging existing enclosures? Can they be floorstanders? Bookshelfs? Sealed? Ported, etc, etc..

You don't or haven't qualified your expectations exactly, and without a design in mind, why did you buy the tweeters?(on sale is plenty good enough reason)
It would seem mathching the tweeter tp a Vifa mid/bass would make perfect sense.
What is the rest of your equipment like , tubes?old ss? new digital?

I would try to emulate something already designed....as a start.
OOPs, you must have added the image after I wrote this or started to respond..

Why not follow the recommended enclosure and tuning of 15 litres, 50X188 mm port? tuned to 42 ?-3dB will occur at 53Hz or so..using this the -3dB is the same, but the roll off is less steep, and there is a 1-2dB hump between 70 and 100Hz, for a little added "slam"

His crossover point is going to be governed by the TC20TD tweeter that he already has bought. With an Fs of 1400Hz it needs to be crossed over about 4000Hz but could go lower with higher orders.

The trick is to find a woofer to match and extend to that point and then rolls off cleanly.... plenty around but a bit high for most 8" mid woofers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.