Erik's pre for measuring mic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank for your responses.
I know Madaboutsound. If I compare price of the complete kit + sound card M Audio Transit vs. M Audio MobilePre USB without necessary interconnects etc., it's very similar.

jbateman, thanks for link. I'll probably do it this way. I´ve already soldered all parts on universal PCB and finished with 32x62mm. I will have to put the triple diode in air. Isn't two of them enough? Or can I use any kind of zener diode instead of them?

I think the very earliest version of this circuit showed it could be either 2 or 3 diodes. I don't know what the reasoning was for this indecision, though. I'm pretty sure I made mine with just 2 1N914's...they're tiny.

With 2 diodes they would supply about 4.5vdc bias to the mic element. With 3 diodes they would supply about 6.7vdc to it. I can't imagine it mattering a whole lot in this application.

If you were to use a zener, you might need to change R1 in order to get the zener to operate. If you use 2 1N914's, just stand them vertically...no big deal. Leave enough space between them so that you could add a third one horizontally if you later decide you need it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.