4-5" driver 50-10,000hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been unable to find a suitable full range driver so now considering a 2 way with the mid running full range.
Fostex F200 had to be played at minimum of 75 dB before it came to life. People here say FX120 bass does not keep up with rest of music plus its discontinued and no refoam kit is available. Other Fostex are bright with little bass. I'm afraid of brightness of Jordans. I don't want a 5dB boost to the bass and treble as the WR-125 does.

Can anyone suggest a 4-5" driver that will roll off at 10kHz without x-over? I would like to then add a tweeter with cap to high pass frequencies over 10kHz. Beaming is not an issue.
I have been unable to find a suitable full range driver so now considering a 2 way with the mid running full range. Considered the M130 except for the bad reviews of that driver here.

SPL is 75dB and I would use .25cu ft cabinet from Parts Express.
Thanks for any ideas.

I'm not really into full range drivers, but if I was to have a go at a '2 way full range' I'd be looking at a nice hi -eff 10 or 12" driver to do bass up to say, 200 - 300 hz. Then use the full ranger all the way up.

Reason being I'd reckon a 4" or 5" driver would be much better at doing the treble than the bass....

What do you mean by spl is 75dB btw ? background music ?

Rob.

chuck55 said:
I'm afraid of brightness of Jordans.

Beaming is not an issue.

If you are afraid of "brightness" of the Jordans then beaming IS an issue.

The problem here is:

To have that small a driver, with that extended a freq. response, that also "came to life" - is virtually impossible.

The foremost problem here is that the "came to life" feeling is largely the domain of efficient drivers. ANY driver that small that is efficent enough to "come alive" will almost certainly have these qualities:
1. Low freq. extension to at most 70 Hz.
2. "tipped-up" higher freq. response.. i.e. "beaming".

The BEST driver I could think of that met your paramaters beyond "came to life" would be a driver that you'll have a hard time purchasing anymore (..Audax HM130C0).

If your willing to trade low freq. response (and get just about everything else you asked for) then there is the Veravox 5X at Solen.ca

A poorer "cousin" to the 5X would be the Fostex fe126e, but it has beaming as well unless modified (and a narrow band cavity resonance below 2 kHz).

If you give up the "came to life" parameter and the use of a Jordan then consider consider this thread by Thorsten:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80846

Rob, I actually listen at 75 dB, not usually louder. So I think I can get into the 50's okay. I've given this some thought and decided it would be better to run a single driver for as much of the F-R as possible so that's why the x-over around 10kHz.

Thanks for the links Scott. They look like good drivers. FWIW my Tang-Band 871s plays down to 50dB okay, all things considered. OTOH the Fostex couldn't.
I don't see beaming as the same thing as a rising FR. A driver simply beams when the wavelength of the frequency approaches the diameter of the driver. Jordan makes a rising reponse curve to compensate for the beaming effect but to my ears, ANY rising FR is bright. I built the TB 1320 SA bamboo driver and had to get rid of it because it sounded bright.

My other thought is to go with the FR125 and eq it flat in the trebel and bass.

chuck55 said:

I don't see beaming as the same thing as a rising FR. A driver simply beams when the wavelength of the frequency approaches the diameter of the driver. Jordan makes a rising reponse curve to compensate for the beaming effect but to my ears, ANY rising FR is bright.

I can "see" that position. In the case of Ted's drivers though he doesn't do it so much to increase an averaged horizontal response - rather he does it to alter the driver's imaging properties (as opposed to a "flat"-on-axis vs. "flat"-off-axis response). As Rob has pointed out its a matter of loudspeaker positioning (i.e. "toe-in" or "toe-out").

Considering that you are going to use a tweeter - why not use a 1st order electrical crossover? I've personally never found a good air-core inductor to be detrimental to sound quality at reasnable power levels.

I don't think that such a driver exists. The closest thing I know of (at least for the high end requirement) is the Seas MCA15RCY, which is essentially flat to 10kHz. It's a midrange and not really designed for bass, but that may not matter much at the low levels at which you plan to listen.

I rewrote that last sentence four times and I'm still not happy with it; it stills sounds like a Wings lyric ("But in this ever-changing world in which we live in�c"). I should sleep.

What about the Jordan JX6R. I think you might be better off getting a driver 100-20kHz like the Jordan above of 300-20khz like the Fostex FF85K. Mating either of these to a 5-8" woofer (depending on how big a speaker you desire) should work and integration at lower freq is easier as polar interference is not so much of an issue.

I am still waiting for some brave soul to use C37 on the dust cap of the JX92 (it is too expensive a driver for me to experiment with) and post results. I get the feeling that the rising response can be controlled by some such treatment.

Anyone brave enough or resourceful enough to ask Ted Jordan? :)

You might want to check out these Visaton drivers

W130S 4 ohm
Frequency response (-10 dB) fu - 12000 Hz .
Mean sound pressure level 87 dB (1W/1m)
Maximum cone displacement 16 mm
Resonance frequency fs 50 Hz

SC13 8 Ohm
Rated power 40 Watt
Maximum power 60 Watt
Nominal impedance 8 Ohm
Frequency response (-10 dB) fu - 13000 Hz
Mean sound pressure level 90 dB (1W/1m)
Maximum cone displacement 15 mm
Resonance frequency fs 78 Hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.