Zaph has another driver grouping up! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2006, 03:28 AM   #21
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mogar

And the import taxes for this kind of stuff is about 90% over the price of the driver + shipping.

Factory made loudspeakers they not only go out of their original country for less than a store price, also they get less taxes when they arrive here. So, in practice, we pay more to make a diy speaker (comparing with a factory made loudspeaker).

Uhhhgg..

(..and here I thought the UK had it bad.)

That's down-right abusive! Its bad enough the shipping costs are what they are.

As to John's involvement with subjective comments on driver:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he try's to obstain from this because it is so *subjective*, and because some others seem to take offense where their own views are not "confirmed".
Old 24th June 2006, 03:09 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default "Bravox" ?

Quote:
Maybe, but since we don't have a single store that sells good quality drivers (not even on-line), we have to buy from sources like madisound. And the import taxes for this kind of stuff is about 90% over the price of the driver + shipping.

Is there not the "Bravox" drivers' manufacturer in your Country ?
This Company makes drivers of various grades of quality for various manufacturers of loudspeakers in other countries .
I would have thought some of the Electronics parts stores would sell some of the Bravox drivers , as local price would be cheaper than import of even Asian made drivers , and drivers' Specifications would be readily available from the designers at the factory , but as you say not , then I suppose not ...

B&W 601 is OK , but B&W 602 is significantly better for not much extra money -{hear those before you decide} , and better can be made for that money if one knows how .
Old 24th June 2006, 03:25 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Zaph has another driver grouping up!

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaph

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. I just added the Tangband 3" Bamboo cone to that grouping. It's also not a bad performer.

Elsewhere, some other drivers have been added, see my recent blog post.

John
Hi John ,
you beaut. ! , that Scan 18W8531G you have added seems to be the 18W/8531G00 I was interested in , and posted queries about .
I see on your plots that it has a smoother midrange response than I had begun to fear , and a much better CSD than I thought , and good distortion results , thus I suppose the "sliced cone" technology works .
The surprise is comparing it to the two 15W sliced cone models you tested , where the un-coated cone version has the mid peak and associated resonance on the CSD , and the coated cone version has the peak and resonances much reduced - as I would expect , but the 18W/8531G00 is apparently an un-coated cone ! , ? , or , is the 18W you were sent a coated cone ?

I hope it was Tympany who sent to you , and hopefully gave you a pair , so you can make a nice pair of loudspeakers with a pair of those new Scan-Speak tweeters you also have ... Well , its a hope !
Old 24th June 2006, 07:07 PM   #24
Mogar is offline Mogar  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[B&W 601 is OK , but B&W 602 is significantly better for not much extra money -{hear those before you decide} , and better can be made for that money if one knows how .

Some say that the bass on the 602 is better, but the midrange from 601 is better. Between bass and midrange, I would stick with a better midrange.

I've heard not too far ago an DIY bookshelf loudspeaker based on Vifa premium line drivers (one 6" driver and a tweeter). Although the bass was surprisingly deep, the midrange performance was below what I would like to hear.

Don't know if those drivers need baffle step compensation. Don't know why, but B&W drivers work very well without baffle step compensation.
Old 25th June 2006, 05:29 PM   #25
Khron is offline Khron  Romania
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Khron Send a message via MSN to Khron Send a message via Yahoo to Khron
Mr Krutke

I was somewhat surprised not to find the Seas L15RLY/P among the 5.5" drivers you tested (even though you've used them in a pair of bookshelves i'll be "cloning" and mutating soon). I would've been curious as to it's (comparative) performances.

Any chance the L15's gonna be added soon?
Old 27th June 2006, 04:54 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Monacor SPH-165KEP

Quote:

Some say that the bass on the 602 is better, but the midrange from 601 is better. Between bass and midrange, I would stick with a better midrange.

I've heard not too far ago an DIY bookshelf loudspeaker based on Vifa premium line drivers (one 6" driver and a tweeter). Although the bass was surprisingly deep, the midrange performance was below what I would like to hear.

Don't know if those drivers need baffle step compensation. Don't know why, but B&W drivers work very well without baffle step compensation.

Well , if you prefer the midrange after hearing both B&W models with your favorite music , then you will know the one to buy .
Both those B&W models are now in series 3 form , that is they have both been developed and revised , thus their cross-overs will have been fine-tuned to get the best possible audio response for when listening on the recommended Vertical Axis , thus their phase response on that axis may now be good enough for satisfactory listening without need for baffle step compensation . Try listening on the woofer axis also , as that part compensates for the arrival times difference , or even a little further vertically off the tweeter axis to hear if the midrange information sounds more integrated - that is - if more true to life . You will only miss a little of the highest treble frequencies when listening off the tweeter axis vertically , and as B&W tweeters are often a bit bright in the 600 series , this may also be a more realistic sound balance off vertical axis .

For DIY , as you seem to like the B&W 6 1/2" bass-mid driver , look at www.monacor.com , and Search in that site for 165KEP .
When you get to the page , click on the picture of the 165KEP driver and the Specifications will be displayed . No it is not a B&W driver , but it looks good to try for DIY , and can be bought Mail-Order .
Old 27th June 2006, 10:53 PM   #27
MarkR is offline MarkR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
These tests are supported by the community. I don't actually buy drivers myself, loaners are sent in by others. Well, I do buy some, but I certainly don't buy all of them. My own resources only go so far.
Zaph,
I just recently got a pair of Ascendant Audio 6.5 poly midranges. I was planning on putting them in my gf's car but due to my father having a stroke the day after I ordered them I wont be getting to the project anytime soon. I would gladly send them to you to test if you are interested. I am in N. Illinois and my father lives in/near Appleton WI. Just email me if you are interested.
-Mark
Old 29th June 2006, 04:54 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Re;- baffle step compensation .

I have now realized that Mogar may have been refering to the type of baffle step compensation which is designed to compensate for the change in forward radiation from the bass/mid driver in regard to wavelength and baffle dimensions .
In my post above I was writing about time delay - the arrival time difference between cone and dome drivers both mounted on the same plane of baffle . Why that entered my mind is because his mention of B&W reminded me of the original B&W stepped baffle loudspeakers , designed to time align the drivers , and as B&W still do to some degree in some {only} of their current 700 and 800 series model loudspeakers , and as do a few other manufacturers .
I hear the time arrival effects more-so than the baffle dimension radiation effects in loudspeakers I build and modify .
Old 29th June 2006, 08:43 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I realize that there are a lot of good driveres out there and one can't possibly test them all but I never see any Peerless drivers in Zaph's test groups. I would really be interested in seeing some reviews on the Exclusive line.

G.
Old 29th June 2006, 09:26 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gcollier
I realize that there are a lot of good driveres out there and one can't possibly test them all but I never see any Peerless drivers in Zaph's test groups. I would really be interested in seeing some reviews on the Exclusive line.

G.
You spoke too soon

http://www.zaphaudio.com/blog.html

Hide this!Advertise here!