Zaph has another driver grouping up! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2006, 11:52 AM   #11
diyAudio Moderator

That's ok Methman, your English is much better than my Czech.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 21st June 2006, 02:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to -_nando-_ Send a message via Skype™ to -_nando-_
I cannot get these speakers here...
Old 22nd June 2006, 02:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Mail-order .

Try buying via Mail-order from one of the US suppliers , such as Madisound ; Parts Express : Speaker City , or who-ever has the drivers you want on their web-site .
Or , does the Custom's Department impound loudspeaker drivers sent into your country ? , or Tax excessively ?

Apparently "Bravox" manufacture some good quality drivers , but also lesser so , as they manufacture to what-ever specification/price their major customers ask for .
Old 23rd June 2006, 11:43 AM   #14
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Zaph has another driver grouping up!

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG
http://www.zaphaudio.com/smalltest/
Hi guys, thanks for the comments. I just added the Tangband 3" Bamboo cone to that grouping. It's also not a bad performer.

Elsewhere, some other drivers have been added, see my recent blog post.

John
Old 23rd June 2006, 09:51 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Hi Zaph, love your site, it is a great reference. In regards to the 5" series of drivers, any reason why you did not include the DA135? I am curious to see how it compares to the DA175 and whether you can a higher cross-over frequency with it.
Old 23rd June 2006, 10:39 PM   #16
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 69stingray
Hi Zaph, love your site, it is a great reference. In regards to the 5" series of drivers, any reason why you did not include the DA135? I am curious to see how it compares to the DA175 and whether you can a higher cross-over frequency with it.
There's a good reason I didn't test the DA135 - it's the same reason I didn't test the Accuton C89 or the Skaaning SK-130: nobody sent me one. These tests are supported by the community. I don't actually buy drivers myself, loaners are sent in by others. Well, I do buy some, but I certainly don't buy all of them. My own resources only go so far.
Old 23rd June 2006, 10:45 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 69stingray Send a message via MSN to 69stingray Send a message via Yahoo to 69stingray
Sounds like a pretty good reason to me!!
Old 24th June 2006, 12:23 AM   #18
Mogar is offline Mogar  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hi Zaph,

Your work is very nice, the tweeter mishmash was an excelent job, but I think that on the 6.5" and 5.5" drivers test you could write a bit more your comments about how the driver sound (example, if they are good or not at dynamics, transient response). I know that some of that info can be extracted from the graphs, but sometimes the graphs can be misleading, since our hearing is a complex system, and sometimes what looks better is not what sounds better to our ears.

And ok, value is important, but for example, I can buy for a reasonably good price an B&W 601 loudpeaker, that is (although not hi-end) a good performer, and have a sound that I like. Don't have the work to design a crossover, design the cabinet and etc. Sometimes I get afraid to buy a set of drivers, build a loudspeaker, spend more money than on a B&W 601 (and a lot of time not only building it but importing the drivers from another country) and don't like the performance. What will I do with the drivers ? No one would buy it. I would have to live with them for the rest of my life, or put them on a trash can.

At least, a better tweeter than the 601's tweeter I already know. I've heard one Seas 27TDFC, and it's very very good. Not the best that I've heard, but definately a high performer (as your review indicates). But about the mid driver, it's a tough choice.
Old 24th June 2006, 12:42 AM   #19
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Mogar, have you ever built a speaker? The 601, although good in its class, is easily bettered by DIY at less than half the cost.

John, like everybody here I'm a great fan! Can't you get manufacturers to send you their drivers? I'm sure all the big ones at least know about what you're doing. It seams to me some free publicity is never a bad thing.
Old 24th June 2006, 01:44 AM   #20
Mogar is offline Mogar  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by keyser
Mogar, have you ever built a speaker? The 601, although good in its class, is easily bettered by DIY at less than half the cost.

John, like everybody here I'm a great fan! Can't you get manufacturers to send you their drivers? I'm sure all the big ones at least know about what you're doing. It seams to me some free publicity is never a bad thing.

Maybe, but since we don't have a single store that sells good quality drivers (not even on-line), we have to buy from sources like madisound. And the import taxes for this kind of stuff is about 90% over the price of the driver + shipping.

Factory made loudspeakers they not only go out of their original country for less than a store price, also they get less taxes when they arrive here. So, in practice, we pay more to make a diy speaker (comparing with a factory made loudspeaker).

And there is something that the B&W speakers usually have that is had to find even in other brand speakers. Fast transient response, good dynamics and warm sound. I personally don't like "analytical" systems, but musical systems, and I consider most of B&W speakers very musical.

I've already heard some loudspeakers based on Scanspeak and Seas drivers, and they didn't impress me. Among them, the Opera and Sonus Faber speakers. The only speakers that I really liked that weren't from B&W were the GamuT L5 speakers. Based on the top drivers from Scanspeak, but exclusive versions with tweaks. And from what I've heard from other loudspeakers with Scanspeak revelator drivers, the Gamut drivers do sound better than the avaliable to DIY community.

Hide this!Advertise here!