70cm tall, 3 way, diy speakers based on 10"/4"/1" japanese ken brown drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
70cm tall, 3 way, diy speakers based on 10"/4"/1" japanese ken brown drivers.

hi,
with some advice from members of this forum, a couple of months ago i've decided to begin the construccion of my first diy speakers.
they were to be used with a lm1876 25+25 diy chipamp.
as a start, i got this 3 way ken brown kit.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

10" woofer (fs=30hz)

4" midrange (sealed back)

1" dome tweeter

crossover provided with the drivers

having thielly small parameters i designed a vented box using winISD.

and it looked fine, so i started the woodwork.

18mm "aglomerado" (i don't know how to call it in english, it a kind of MDF with bigger particles). glued and screwed.

some tools, really amateaur as you can see.

painting.
3 coats of satin black spray paint, on top of 2 coats of white base for wood.

inner side sucks...

acrilic sealant to form a sealed union between driver and box.

watching corea vs france, happy with our 6-0 on friday.

placing the midrange,

tweeter

and woofer.

very little stuffing, and almost no bracing.

finished!!

later i'll be adding some protective grill or cloth. and it stands on 4 plastic feet each speaker.

well, having showed this, let move to the talking.
happy with the aesthetics.
happy with the sound.
the 3 way driver set has a sensibility of 94dB, wich is awesome for my 25w+25w amp.
it sound very good to me (i'm just a begginer in audiophile, hi fi, and all that stuff, but i know i like a infinity/technics/jbl speaker, and not an aiwa one).
i was afraid it was going to be boomy with that little amount of stuffing and bracing, but luckily it wasn't at all. maybe it's because it's not working at big SPL.
bass go deep (lower than 35hz for sure)(bass in stoner rock sounds great), not much group delay (jazz drumming sounds very good, i think i have bill martin in my speaker when listening to medeski's tonic), decent midrange (voices are clear and not distorted by any crossover point. i don't know if you heard something from spinetta. he is an argentinian musician (the greatest for me) with a great voice and i love the way he sounds in my speakers), and "sweet" high frequencies (i always liked soft dome tweeters because of this).
i have listened to several records today, some quite loud, and it wasn't exausting for my ears at all, i guess the dome tweeter does that.
that's all folks.
do you like them? any comments?

thanks for watching this and excuse my english (i don't even know wether it's good or bad english).

its definately a start! reminds me of those big 3 ways of the 70s and 80s i didnt grow up in....

soon youll be bitten by the upgrade bug!

also the materical you used is called particle board.

i dont know if you can take the back off
but if you could im sure a single shelf brace in the middle would help alot! make the bass much tighter.

thank you very much!.
i know that, after enjoying them for a short time, i'll be desperate for an upgrade. i think that shelf brace you mentioned is a goof idea. the back panels are removable. there's some room for the brace to fit, right below the woofer and above the port. i suppose i'll be gluing it since i dont wont to drill the painted wood to place a screw.

Hi

Nice speakers...happy that 3-way systems appear once in a while. So sound is good? 70's speakers are not necessary bad sounding if u prefer sweet sound from modern popular analytical sound. I found myself often enjoying my friend's parents old old speakers and marantz amplifier.

Now i'm wondering building these speakers http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WClassic.htm
If anyone have build these give a comment.

Thanks and keep the good work up!

They remaind me of my first "serious" speakers,three way Technics models.

I still miss the wind those huge woofers could blow to my face:devilr:

p.s There is some stange looking screen in the reflex pipe.I'd recommend to remove it when you are fitting the braces,you could also flare it or add there a flared piece(without changing the length too much).

esuko said:

Now i'm wondering building these speakers http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/3WClassic.htm
If anyone have build these give a comment.

I haven't build these speakers but I have used the 27TFFC and some other SEAS Prestige (basic) drivers. I'm very impressed with the quality of these drivers. Buildquality is very good and they sound realy sweet.
You'ld be realy happy with a well designed speaker using these drivers. And I think this design is a good example.

pikkujöpö said:

p.s There is some stange looking screen in the reflex pipe.I'd recommend to remove it when you are fitting the braces,you could also flare it or add there a flared piece(without changing the length too much).

what is a flared piece or flaring the pipe?
the second expression seems kind of sexual, jeje.

that screen is a plastic grill, for protection purpose i think. it came with the pipe as it is a professional audio pipe, that strangely was just the length i needed it to be. i thought it wouldn't affect the performance as it is really thin, but i wouldn't mind removing it next time i open the box. thanks!

thanks to everyone for the opinions!

this is just an off topic, but i have to say, that 70s speakers are good. They may be far from flat, but they have a certain sound that sounds good with old recordings, trading SPL for extension, with a big smiley looking curve. My dad has some technics 3 ways, and i dont knwo how they get soo much bass from a pair of low excursion 10s! when he cranks it it rattles EVERYTHING in my room! granted theres not much below 60hz....

...in fact id really like to built a similar pair of speakers sometimes, cause when it comes to some old zepplin vynils, or young or anything else of that era, they were all mixed to sound good on the cumbersome 3 ways of the 70s.

congratulations! you got me thinking about a new project! just what i needed!

well! i'm glad that happened!

i'm a huge 70's rock and roll bands fan, mainly prog rock such as pink floyd, king crimson, yes, invisible (an argentinian band from that decade)... hard rock as black sabbath, deep purple, led zeppelin, etc... and stoner rock (wich is kind of new but sounds old) such as kyuss, queens of the stone age, natas, colour haze, nebula, om, karma to burn...
i've spent my whole day (today is "flag's day" here and i didn't have to work or go to the university) listening to that kind of music, and also some jazz and classical, and i have to say i'm very pleased with the results.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.