70cm tall, 3 way, diy speakers based on 10"/4"/1" japanese ken brown drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
of course i've heard it! great album, even though i prefer the larks/red/starless era.
and i must tell you i love the ways drums sound on my speakers in "one more red nightmare". :D

have you heard b'boom?? it's a king crimson live album recorded here in buenos aires with the double trio set up in the mid 90s. great sound, great songs, and 6 enourmous musicians!

my boys in their place.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

size comparison

my gear!

diy turntable based on cheap very old turntable, and technics sl-pg480a cd player.

my amp!
diy lm1876 amp, 25w+25w. volume and bass level pots (using a preamp based on NE5532 opamp).

now they are finished.
well, for now. i will surely be bracing the boxes, stuffing differently, etc, but not in the next weeks.
some protection grills were to be added, and so they were added.
attaching the cloth to the wood frame is a pain in the ***!!

removed...

if it can be seen through, it serves the purpose.

close look at the mountings.

naked

he is looking at you.

nice, facundo! Ken is not for Barbies!

By the way, did you bought them in ¨Sagasta New Old Stockists¨... hehehe
Because me, and a friend of mine, bought some tweets there too.

I love 70´s audio.
In that times, audio was really fun.

And a tale...: circa 1990, me and a girlfriend -who was heavily into audio, strange thing for a woman- were walking across Avenida Corrientes, BA, and suddenly noticed a very nice sound emanating from one of those record shops that abound there.
It´was, if I remember well, Sinead O`Connor rendition of ¨Nothing Compares 2U¨.
My girlfriend told me: ¨that`s sound really nice... what kind of speaker is that?...

Ken Brown, correcto!
A nice big box, three way, very dynamic, sitting there in the brink of the record shop, facing outwards.

That tweeter is very nice, and reminds me of some highly regarded Peerless driver favoured by rock lovers. I don´t remember the model.

Cheers

good drivers...

The woofer and the tweeter are very good.
I saw the same speakers in Audio Sagasta, in the Corrientes Angosta gallery. Incredibly well conserved after all those years.
The woofer is very dynamic and punchy.
I bought a pair of tweeters.
If you are adept to this sort of thing, I advise you to lightly ¨plastiflex¨ the paper cone with some sort of dope.
In the past, I used some water based sealer, similar in applications to Fastix but not silicone based. I diluted the stuff in distilled water, and applied it to the cone with a fine bristle brush.
The sound doesn´t changed so much, but the paper cone gained protection against humidity and atmos pollutants.
Be careful with the suspension. A cotton wab moistured with some glycerin sometimes is needed to restore the foam.

Another thing that I used to restore some friend woofers was ¨Glo Coat¨, black colour. Go figure. It has some acrylic formulation, so the resultant coating is very resistant.

I saw some ELP and Pink Floyd stuff around the speakers.
I love progressive rock, and I love ELP excesses too.
Trilogy is a hell of good album.

Cheers and enjoy.

prog music and vintage speakers...

By the way, 70´s audio stuff and prog music are a wedding made in heaven.
I believe that the 100% kosher method to listen to ELP, Premiata Forneria Marconi or Gong is with speakers like yours.
Those synths deserve to be reproduced with good bass and sparkling highs. Is incredible the capability of a good a Moog solo to massage the brain.

pikkujöpö said:
p.s There is some stange looking screen in the reflex pipe.I'd recommend to remove it when you are fitting the braces,you could also flare it or add there a flared piece(without changing the length too much).

It can't really hurt anything, and it might even be some type of diffuser for airflow to cut down on noise from air turbulence coming out of the tube...maybe. I've seen ports with cross-hairs in the end for that purpose.

facundonu said:
of course i've heard it! great album, even though i prefer the larks/red/starless era.
and i must tell you i love the ways drums sound on my speakers in "one more red nightmare". :D

have you heard b'boom?? it's a king crimson live album recorded here in buenos aires with the double trio set up in the mid 90s. great sound, great songs, and 6 enourmous musicians!

You need to make your way over to Progressive Ears .com sometime.

You must have the HDCD remasters of those Larks era albums. Yes, they are spectacular sounding. I also have Thrak and have heard the B'Boom album. You guys sounded like a riot! KC has such a following worldwide. Its a shame they don't have that typr of following here in the states.

I hope you're into Porcupine Tree as well.

Good Times.

of course i'm into them! i've been listening to "in absentia" time after time yesterday's afternoon.
good to see good music fans here!

federico, thanks a lot for the pieces of advice! i'll be following them of course.
i still think it's kind of funny to be communicating with a guy that lives here, through a foreigner forum and in english, hehe. good practice though.

3-LockBox said:

It can't really hurt anything, and it might even be some type of diffuser for airflow to cut down on noise from air turbulence coming out of the tube...maybe. I've seen ports with cross-hairs in the end for that purpose.

Could also be to restrict air flow at high volume by augmenting friction resistance which is negligible at low velocity. ProAc used straws for this purpose apparently with some success.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.