Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2006, 12:06 AM   #21
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Okay,
I worked in Studios. That's what the reasoning is / was.

Auratones were similar to TV speakers and good for setting levels.

NS-10's were cheap, and with paper towels (or kleenex) used for near field. NS-10M came out with the response corrected for near field work. No wad of paper needed across the tweeter any more.

These were inexpensive speakers, but became a standard. The woofer has a glue joint running radially to the edge (white cone). The point is, the engineer knew what an NS-10 sounded like so he could mix in other places. It's really true.

Studio main monitors were whatever. JBL's were popular and known to be anything but flat. Typically driven by DC300's (and still are at the Metal Works).

So, don't believe the ad copy. Yamaha lucked out and everyone else is confusing the issue trying to get in. But good sounding they weren't.

-Chris
Old 19th June 2006, 12:59 AM   #22
phn is offline phn  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by anatech
Studio main monitors were whatever. JBL's were popular and known to be anything but flat. Typically driven by DC300's (and still are at the Metal Works).

-Chris
"At The Who's first studio, Ramport (where we recorded Quadrophenia), I used twelve JBL 4350 speakers set up in 6 pairs for a kind of 5.1 sound (long before 5.1 sound was invented). They were devastatingly loud, and great! Playbacks at Ramport were orgasmic."--Pete Townshend

Should somebody be unsure about the JBL model numbers, here's the 4350
Old 19th June 2006, 01:05 AM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Hi phn,
I've seen those too. They are not nearfield monitors though!

Those sessions must have been a gas!

-Chris
Old 19th June 2006, 06:44 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They were devastatingly loud, and great! Playbacks at Ramport were orgasmic."--Pete Townshend
Isn't Pete Tonshend suffering heavily fom tinnitus nowadays ???

Comparing monitors to HiFi speakers:
I had the opportunity to listen to some great monitors with CDs of mine and I must say that they would make great home speakers as well.

Regards

Charles
Old 19th June 2006, 07:32 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate

Isn't Pete Tonshend suffering heavily fom tinnitus nowadays ???

Yup. and me too.

Worked in recording studios from when I was in highschool... (called the owner every few weeks for a year until he had no resistance). Final mix audits were LOUD.

Luckily still goes away, but not completely. In a dampened room feels like i'm in a jet plane with extra near-ultrasonics... Hearing range is still thankfully normal (actually still quite sharp).

Everybody else seem to have answered the primary question.

Good engineers will actually leave the studio and try the music on car stereos, boom boxes, good home stereos, over the telephone... Also several mixes are made: after the recording, then usually the next day after ears have had a chance to rest. The best is picked of the bunch.

NS-10m are in most commercial studios for nearfield. Auratones seem to come in a good 2nd, but never really get used much.

With all the powered monitors out, things are changing, but mostly for the home studio.... Only a few studios (Hafler TRM), unless for video editing (ease of use).
Old 19th June 2006, 12:57 PM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Hi bluesmoke,
Quote:
Good engineers will actually leave the studio and try the music on car stereos, boom boxes, good home stereos, over the telephone... Also several mixes are made: after the recording, then usually the next day after ears have had a chance to rest. The best is picked of the bunch.
Yes. Absolutely.

But they do have an idea during the mix.

Don't you love hearing the same rif over and over again?

-Chris
Old 13th July 2006, 08:04 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

hi,

this is my first thread in here. since I was bought one pair very rare NS-2000 already. It will arrive my home next week.
any comment for this speaker??

i hope to collect a studio monitor to test my new ver.3 1541a dac sound quality.

thx

thomas
Old 15th September 2006, 07:46 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Monitors?

Just bought a pair of yamaha Ns-615 B, they are new old ones, never been used. Even had a note still hanging on the back of each, telling what the boxes are made of. Anyway, my first impression was that they were very "bright" and revealing. Compared to my Dali speakers, they are totally different. Fun part is, I could hear sounds and effects on some records, that I havent heard before.

Hide this!Advertise here!