EPOS ES22 construction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2001, 05:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Iím wondering if anyone is familiar with the EPOS ES22 and how itís possible to gain access to the drivers? Other models had large bolts clamping the front and real baffles, however Iím not sure how the 22s are constructed.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 13th August 2003, 10:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to GooseCreature Send a message via MSN to GooseCreature
Default Epos 22's

Hi Pete

Did a search on the site before i posted my query and it came up blank. It looks like we are the only 2 people that own a pair of 22's. I don't suppose you have managed to get inside the cabinets yet? I have contacted Epos direct but with them being pre Creek i'm pretty sure they will not be much help, have had no reply yet but it is the holiday season so they might all be lying on a beach somewhere!
Is there any chance of keeping me posted on any developments and i will do likewise!
Good luck in your quest to enter the Epos

ciao
Old 15th August 2003, 09:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I guess you are trying to clone Epos speakers? The bass-drivers of Epos are developed specifically for Epos and for functioning without low-pass crossover (nice controlled roll off). The tweeters are from SEAS i think. Anyway, maybe you can convice Epos to sell you repair drivers falsely, but i think you should build something else and stay a
Old 15th August 2003, 11:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Angry Bet you don't trust your Grandmother either!!

Think you might be jumping to the wrong conlusion, I have in my downstairs hall a pair of Epos es22's, one of which has a blown tweeter, now two thirds of the front baffle is covered with a plastic cover, all i want to know is what is below it, bolt heads would be nice so i could dismantle both, buy a new pair of similar spec tweeters, install them, plug the speakers into my system, sit in my favourite comfy chair and listen to the bloody things. I appologise for my abruptness but i had a nightmare 9 hour round trip to collect them ( purchased off ebay) on one of the hottest days in history only to get home and find one of the tweeters blown. Epos have since been taken over by Creek and only make three models, none of which are the es22, to cap it all off i believe they must be on their annual leave as i have received no reply to my emails.
Another thing while i'm rambling on further research has revealed a lot of Epos speakers used long bolts clamping the front baffle to the rear baffle but its all irrelevent, all i need is the key to open the box so i can listen to my new speakers

Bit rum throwing about the accusations without at least probing a bit deeper, you never know i could be the type of person who takes offence easily
Old 16th August 2003, 04:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Not trying to clone anything, I own some genuine ES22s but it's often worthwhile to line the inside of the cabinets with additional vibration dampening material, change capacitors etc all of which requires access to the inside.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 16th August 2003, 05:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think from memory the front fascia is glued onto the front baffle, concealing the bolts that hold the drivers in.... but it's been 6 years since I looked at a pair so the memory could be a little faulty. Great sounding speakers though, but don't like high volume levels!

Old 16th August 2003, 09:08 AM   #7
x-pro is offline x-pro  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lawriebuck
I think from memory the front fascia is glued onto the front baffle, concealing the bolts that hold the drivers in.... but it's been 6 years since I looked at a pair so the memory could be a little faulty. Great sounding speakers though, but don't like high volume levels!

Your memory is correct - the plastic front needs to be carefuly pulled - there is some sticky stuff holding it. It is better to replace the tweeters with the same model - may be Epos Acoustics could help with this - I know they had some spares for the old speakers.

About high volume levels - ES22 and ES30 need a very good amplifier capable of controlling the bass driver as there is very little acoustical damping and with most amplifiers these speakers will have problems on loud passages. I've heard ES22 producing very high levels with nice clarity, driven by Naim or senior Creek amps using biamping.

x-pro
Old 16th August 2003, 02:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default RE Epos 22's

Thanx lads for the positive replies, its nice to have a bit of peace of mind before attacking the beasts with a hammer and chisel
With regards to amplification the 22's were purchased solely to be married to the Gain clones i am building, after long deliberation and trawling through everything i could find online they appeared to have the spec and qualities to make a perfect partnership, of course proof will only be in the pudding so fingers crossed.

Thanx again chaps!!!!
Old 18th August 2003, 08:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hope i didnt offend any sensitive minds, but since this is a DIY loudspeakerforum, it easy to jump to conclusions.

Replacing the tweeter - To capture the original sound a replacement tweeter from EPOS is a must.

Enter the boxes - The back and front wall are glued, so this is problematic. A friend of mine tried something similar and it didnt turn out well! Ask EPOS for help or send the boxes to them for replacement and tweeter change. Regarding change of capacitor - I think the capacistors are attached to the wire attach-panel on the back. Only this part may be removed for this purpose.
Old 23rd February 2006, 09:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Exclamation Epos es22 gaining access

I have a pair of es22s that were delivered with the plastic facia unattached.
There was the access to the screws for all the speakers.
I definately had a look inside before I closed them up.
That facia is attached with double sided tape.
I think you would destroy the covering if you removed it.
Beneath the facia is black painted MDF that looks nice, just a little rougher than the covering.
Hope that helps
-e

Hide this!Advertise here!