Use of Matrix construction in Proac 2.5 clone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, mine uses two braces and there are bitumen on the walls, very very good sound. I redesign the speaker before remade. If you don't bitume the inside, you maybe have some problems, the 18W8535 have lots of bass and if the box is not damp the sound will be bad however, the matrix system, very difficult to realyse, can give the solution.
If you make that say us how they sound!!!

I read in another forum recently that wall damping and bracing achieve 2 different things. Bracing changes (increases) the resonant frequency of cabinet but is a not total substitute for the desirable acoustic energy storage achieved through mass loading (adding weight). Thats why it is generally recommended to use mass loaded (heavy wall damping compared to light weight materials) together with bracing or no bracing at all.

You should also consider if your internal room conditions will need this kind of experimental bracing. If your room is small then it may be good, but if the room is big then you could lose some good bass.

Somebody has already compared the difference between a heavily braced 2.5 clone and a "standard" unbraced one and he concluded the unbraced is better because it retains the bass and flowing voice character of the original Proacs. It is very possible to build completley damped and dead sounding speakers through over use of bracing and damping.

If your over-bracing experiment does not work then you can always build another unbraced clone and give the other one away as a Christmas present :)

I generally use screws because my skills are not so good. Also I have seen 20 year old commercial speakers splitting apart when they were just glued.

You should read the JPO linklist from the clone site on cabinet making methods.

Sound differences should be no problem but others may disagree here?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I was reading your letters and thinking of the time I bought a pair of the original proac response 2's and built a pair four post steel stands that weighed 100 lbs each. I aslo built a steel clamp with a plate on top so I could clamp the speaker o the stand. I thought this would improve the the sound of the bass by stabilizing the box and stop the box from resonating. It made it sound terrible. It sound very thin. The stands worked great by themself.
Question: what does this mean? do we want box coloration? If you over brace a cabinet, could it sound worse and why?

Thank's, Joel

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I left out the brace in my 2.5 clones and I'm going to add a different type of brace afterwards beacuse I wanted to experiment with the amount of bitumen and dacron.
Supernet, I guess you could put the stuffing through the holes in the brace?
I'm almost ready to veneer the boxes but I'm know thinking of of using dowels from side to side and front to back in two or three locations
What do you think?

I put bitumen and damping on the walls, before I finished the speakers. At first I made box without front side, added bitumen and Dacron and then screw and glue front side.

The most important is how to put bitumen on walls! Do not use hot glue pistol!!! I use hot air dryer ( not that one for hair!).;)

Supernet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.