Low cost coaxial drivers for home theatre - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2006, 10:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Low cost coaxial drivers for home theatre

I'm thinking about making some home theatre speakers, and one of my goals is to achieve wide enough dispersion so that several listeners can have the same listening experience.

I posted a thread about wide dispersion speakers a few months ago and received some helpful replies. However since then I have decided that any attempt at wide dispersion speakers will be for home theatre use, not stereo.

With this in mind, I've started looking at small (and relatively cheap) coaxial drivers for use with a small subwoofer. Another thread states that coaxial drivers offer an "almost 90 degree dispersion pattern". Even if this was not strictly true, perhaps coaxial speakers generally have wider dispersion that would sound quite good to several listeners.

As some posters pointed out in my previous thread, speaker dispersion is a complex issue, and I can't even begin to address the considerations with my knowledge. I welcome any advice but for this project, I just want to have some fun and put together something that sounds descent.

There are a few Audax coaxial drivers on sale at Madisound at the moment. I'm willing to spend more than US $12 to $14 per driver, but since these are available I thought I would ask for opinions.

To my eyes, it looks like the most obvious drawback of these drivers is that they are not point-source - the tweeter is an inch or so in front of the midrange. I suppose this means the two biggest benefits of traditional coaxial drivers (time alignment and wide dispersion) don't apply to these drivers. Perhaps designs like this (similar to car audio coaxials) are purely to reduce the required baffle area? Perhaps these Audax drivers are intended for car audio??

Can anyone suggest an alternative driver? The Seas 7" T18RE coaxial driver is just within my price range at US $89 + crossover. However I would like to spend less.

Here's a link to the Audax drivers:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind...imageField.y=0

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 14th June 2006, 12:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'm not expert, but maybe you should consider some coaxials with compresion driver, like EMINENCE BETA-8CX 8" COAXIAL DRIVER plus EMINENCE APT-50 SUPER TWEETER, or other tweeter of your liking (sold separatelly, email for reduced price).

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=290-500&DID=7

and...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-530

The crossover has to match tweeter's and woofer's efficiency.

or the better quality but more expensive Beyma 8"KX coaxial, for US$179 at http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

(also look at the 12" coaxial Beyma CX12, for US$200. They would be very good for front speakers, I believe).

I imagine soft dome tweeters "woofer loaded" don't sound that good.

I hope this helps.
M
Old 14th June 2006, 12:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the information, maxlorenz.

I had not heard of Beyma drivers before and they look very interesting. After a quick search there seems to be some good information on these, so I have some reading to do!

If I'm going to think about coaxial drivers it seems these types would be far better and worth the effort. Although they are a little more expensive than I hoped I'll keep them in mind.

AJS
Old 14th June 2006, 12:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

arjscott,
My HT set-up has speakers of the similar variety(cheapo car speakers).
I haven't noticed much effect due to the tweeter being 1 inch in front of the woofer's so called acoustic centre point. For me this is still very close to being a point source.Though I have read that many knowledgable people mention about this as a fault/drawback.
As far as dispersion is concerned for HT, I feel that the spatial feeling is acheived by the sound being split up into the various channels; perhaps more dispersion may be too much of a good thing. Here again there are differences of opinion.
My vote is for a less dispersion in HT loudspeaker setups.

BTW, my speakers driver/baffle is just about 8 cms. away from the wall with the rear of the enclosure almost touching the wall.

Greetings from a cheapophile
Old 14th June 2006, 04:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You should also check out eBay for real Tannoy Dualconcentric 8"drivers (probably used). Those are very good.

Good luck!
M
Old 14th June 2006, 05:03 PM   #6
Kensai is offline Kensai  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Kensai
I've seen some Alpine car speaks at BB, both 6.5" and 6"x9" that are 2-way coax where the tweeter is a soft dome and recessed to where it is almost flush with the woofer cone. They look pretty slick and I think are like $120-$150 a pair, though I don't know what they sound like since you can't really hear anything at BB, especially over in the car audio section.

Kensai

Hide this!Advertise here!