floor stander speaker system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, This is my first project in building a super speaker system. I have bought the following and want to build a cabinet to put these in.

Details are as follows:

XG52G - Eminence Beta 15 / Qty: 1
380mm (15in) 350W Bass Speaker

NB63T - Eminence Alpha 10 / Qty: 1
250mm (10in) 150W Power Speaker

L64AW - 25W Dome Tweeter / Qty: 4
L64AW - 25W Dome Tweeter

Wide Dispersion Piezo Horn Tweeter / Qty: 1
Wide Dispersion Piezo Horn Tweeter

Bass Reflex Tubes / Qty: 2
Bass Reflex Tubes

Now i am not sure which crossovers to use, There is a three way cross over available ( Three-Way 12dB/Octave 150W )Three-Way 12dB/Octave 150W, but do i have to put seperate crossovers for tweeters and mid range or can i run 2 midrange, 3 tweeters and two woofers from the same crossover?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Zackkstar,

Where to start?

I see that 54 persons have viewed but no replies. I think they might be having the same problem as me. I can't quite figure out what you're trying to do.

You show one woofer, one midbass, one piezo and 4 domes. I must say this is not your average combination. Are you planning to double this number and make two speakers?

First, what are these going to be used for?

Second, you'll have to make a cabinet inside a cabinet to house the 10 and keep it away from the 15.

Not sure what the domes are for.

The piezo tweeter is best suited for a speaker you are going to be listening to from a long ways away.

It's not a good idea to buy a crossover off the shelf. When you buy a driver, you match the XO to that particular driver, you don't just grab one that has the apparent XO frequencies you are looking for. The ones off the shelf are built for a nominal impedance rating. It is very rare that the XO point will be the same on any particular driver. Also, you can't use regular XO's for a piezo tweeter, they are a different ballgame.

The bass reflex tubes are also a part of the design. You can't just grab them and throw them at the box. They are an integral part of the design.

The last part of your question I can't answer as the numbers and names don't coincide with what you have listed.

Before you go any further, get a copy of Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook and do some serious reading. If you want the satisfaction of doing something as good or better than the pro's, you best put the table saw away for now. It's not a simple thing and you'll be wasting your time and money if you just go ahead and bang something together.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I think you'll find that you have to spend as much time in the design room as you do in the workshop to get it right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.