What mid/bass to choose??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm planning on building a new speaker, it's going to be a 2way basreflex. I've already sorted out which tweeter I'm going to use, wasn't hard because I already have them :).
Tweeter = Monacor DT-252

But now comes my question, which mid/bass should I use?
I think I narrowed my search down to the following 3:
- Monacor SPH-165KEP (Info)
- Monacor SPH-165CP (Info )
- Peerless HDS-182 (Info)

I'm looking for a woofer that has a good quality while still being able to handle bigger loads occasionly ;).
It's very hard to choose because some people say pick this one and others say pick that one :confused:

Hope you guys can make the decision easier

The peerless HDS-182 has the highest wattage[150w rms],but the sensitivity is very low spl 86 db 1w at 1m,but doesn't go that low 60hz

The Monacor SPH-165KP has a very nice looking and very strong yellow pure kelvar cone,and resonable spl 89 db 1w at 1m,but the wattage is only 60w rms,and goes pretty low 30 hz

The Monacor SPH-165CP has a nice carbon fibre cone,80w rms rating and an spl of 89 db 1w at 1m also goes very low for a small driver 30 hz

You said you wanted a good quality driver,which can cope with bigger loads occasionally.

I load go for the Monacor SPH-165CP,because although not as powerful as the peerless,but for a small hifi driver 80w rms is good.Also this driver has the biggest voice coil[2 inch diametre coil],carbon fibre cone,largest x max 5mm,and lowest frequency produced is 30hz,which is very good for a small driver.

The Monacor SPH-165CP is more of a small subwoofer driver or bass driver,not mid,where as the Monacor SPH-165KP is more of a bass/mid,
and the Peerless HDS-182 is also a bass/mid

So the problem is actually that the SPH-165CP is not really that good for midrange, when you take a look at the curve you can see a nasty drop around 2kHz which might be a prob because my tweeter's rec crossoverpoint is 2.5kHz (Info tweeter)

Maybe thet SPH-165KEP would be a better choice because of it's better midrange capabilities, also one thing to keep in mind is that I will probably add a subwoofer to my system after I've build this set of speakers, but nevertheless I want the music to sound good also without the sub. Sub is going to more for movies at first, maybe if it sounds "musically" enough I'll consider it for music also.

Life can be so hard when there's so much to pick and toy around with but so little money ;), so I need to pick something decent the first time round.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.