Dynamic Bullet tweeters for pa/disco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If your on a very limited budget,then in a pa setup you might use piezo tweeters.But I used to use piezos,but their sound quality is awful,and they are average sensitivity compaired to a modern bass driver with high sens.Also they sound harsh on the ear,very spitty and lack any detail such as the female voice.
The good titanium compression drivers are expensive,unlike the phonlic ones.A good quality comp driver is loud and disperses the sound well but it also lacks detail [thats what i've heard].
On the other hand, a dynamic bullet tweeter and suitable crossover can sound amazing,goes very loud,and dispersed the sound well.But i know JBL makes dynamic bullet tweeters,but apart from that i don't know what over good manufactor makes them.
For the time being i've got a pair of fairly awful RCL phonlic comp drivers,rated 100w max,and sens 92 db at 1w/1m;and a 6.8 uf 100v non-polarised capacitor.

Could someone please tell me where i could find other dynamic bullet tweeters,which are not JBL,because the JBL ones cost £300 each,way too much to spend on a single tweeter.
Also how good are my drivers at the moment RCL ,100w max,but no model no strangely enough.
I've heard of the Eminence PSD2002 comp driver,but this is phonlic not titanium,i want a titanium comp driver.
Last but not least; piezo's only good point is they don't need a crossover,and handle high wattages.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
High and mid frequency units from Fane, Eminence and McKenzie are available in the UK from www.bkelec.com. Click on "Professional Audio", then "Loudspeaker Drive Units".

Friends over there tell me itis a good outfit to work with. I am sure you can call and find out which drive unit goes with which horn.

The prices are considerably cheaper than the 300 pds you mentioned for the other unit.

I wouldn't use JBL tweeters personally - IMHO a large part of the reason they got their "Junk But Loud" moniker in the trade is because of the tendency of their tweeters to scream.

Fane would probably be a much better bet - I've heard their tweeters sound really sweet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.