Backpack Sound System

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I'm the founder of a portuguese inline skating group (with some regular tours in Lisbon) and I wanted to build a sound system backpack.

I have a few photos from other backpacks:
http://www.patinsdalinha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221
I was thinking something like in the last photo.

The problem is that I do not know anything about audio, batteries and electronic... but if you help me giving me some tips I could ask someone that knows something to help me build.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Now those are some people after my heart. I have fooled around with that sort of thing before but never to that extent. I love those people. As far as what they are using you'll have to ask some others that might have done it. What a great idea, sorry I couldn't help much. Are they using ipods for their source do you know? It looks like some lighweight car audio stuff and some sort of battery arrangement. I wonder if the are using lithium batteries. If you are building the cart version, it should make it easier as you don't have to lug the batteries around. And there's a spot to keep your beer. ;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's cool stuff!
This subject has been talked about a bit on the Class-D forum for bicycles and other portable audio.

Class-D amps are a good choice, as they are very efficient and thus will not need as big a battery for a given power/run time.

Automotive sound gear is the natural choice, as it is small and made for battery use. But most car speakers are very inefficient. Getting more efficient speakers will help your system overall. You'll need less power for more sound. Always a good thing!

There are certainly people here who can help you choose the right drivers. The amp might be a little more difficult.

This is fun; let's see what the forum comes up with. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What is your budget for the electronics part of it?
You know, the speakers, the amp, the battery.

That way we can point you to items that will work within your budget.

Also - what is your final quality goal? Do you just want something loud with BIG BASS, or do you wish a more balanced, quality sound?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Podzooma is cool, but i can tell you - that Sonic Impact amp is NOT going to have enough power. In stock form it is rather bass shy. You can see my site to understand what I'm talking about.

Other than that, the Podzooma concept is cool. But a nice car amp with 50 watts or more would be better suited, IMO.

I already have check out your site, and have a running "stealth modded" model running fine at home. :D

But I assure you that it does pack enough punch provided the speakers are relatively effective. The 10" drivers I use are around 96 db/watt/meter. With 2 of these in parallel the Sonic T provides more than adequately power.

Granted 10" driver are probably too much to "sling on your back" in a hurry but the Podzuma design does give around 94 db/watt/meter IIRC, or around 108 db before clipping, and that should be enough for even party hard people.

EDIT: Oh, and btw, if it's running from an iPod or Zen I would actually recommend using a non-modified version of the Sonic T amp as both iPod and Zen are a little "bass heavy" when used to feed the Sonic T. I suspect that's why they the Sonic T's slightly "bass light" to begin with.

panomaniac said:
What is your budget for the electronics part of it?
You know, the speakers, the amp, the battery.

That way we can point you to items that will work within your budget.

Also - what is your final quality goal? Do you just want something loud with BIG BASS, or do you wish a more balanced, quality sound?

I don't know like around... 150€.
The goal is to have sound in our skate tours around the city. It doesn't have to be VERY LOUD... but it would be nice that skaters who aren't close to the sound system could hear it.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello Mr. Inline Skates.
I wondered if you ever got anything made. Maybe not?

From looking at the photos of the other backpack systems, they are all using car speakers and amps.
That would be the easiest way for you to do it.

There will be better ways to do it, for sound quality, but a simple system based on automotive sound parts will be easy and not too expensive. And will work just fine. You’ll have fun!

So, you will need:
1) The backpack. You'll have to build it. Look at your photos as a guide. Rigid and light is what you want.

2) A battery. You will need a 12 volt "Sealed Lead Acid" battery. I don't know what they are called in Portugal, but you should find one easily. In Lisbon there should be many battery makers who can supply you. Electronic supply stores will also have them.

3) A battery charger. Buy it with your battery. It will be small.

4) An amplifier. Buy an amp made for car use. 2 channels are all you need for stereo. It should have RCA plugs so that you can connect your iPod.

5) Speakers. There are plenty of car speakers to choose from. That's the hard part! :) The oval shaped 6x9" speakers could work well for you. You will see some of those in the photos. Otherwise don't go larger than an 8" or 200mm diameter speaker.

That should get you started.

killer

Way to go this is what Im talking about!!
I would go with Neodynium pro audio drivers.
Go mono and save yourself some trouble,to be honest you wont hear if its stereo from a few feet away if you place the L and R speakers this close. Maybe one 12" and a few piezos or a better driver on top.
Heck,for a fun surround effect mount the tweeters on flexible poles sticking out on top of the backpack. Maybe not hifi but real fun to have some tweeters flying around in the air.
Car amps and motorcycle batteries or whatever you can afford are the way to go.Many times they can be bridged and deliver more juice for less pounds.
Ciao

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.