The "Voodoo" of Vibration in Loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
rdf said:
Hi Dave, I was at the Richmond Ikea on the weekend and they had piles of TNT's bowls in stock. I haven't jumped in because the walls seemed thin for a full range driver. I need to find another bowl a 1/2" smaller in diameter to slip inside and go dual-wall.

The smaller 28 cm bowl might be worth considering for a Frugel-Horn or Austin A126 supra-baffle... too bad the largest wooden bowl in the series is only 20 cm... be OK for a push-push pair of Aura 3" thou.

dave

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi!

Maybe this is hijacking the thread but I pass on some more pics from the building process:

It is possible to find the top center by looking at the circles on the surface - here a hole is drilled..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

the carving in some traces to guide the saw:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

workin with the saw was really troublesome - in the begining it was OK but as the crcle was beeing finished, the whole thing started wobbling - the final resut was far from perfect but the tolerances by not gluing the second halff tigth to the metal took care of that:

I glued (epoxi) some steel bands inside one of the bowlss so to guide the other one when joining them - for this glue was also used but a sealant for marine (sikaflex).

/

«Lets say a cone weighs 50 grammes, and the enclosure weighs 10 kilos, a not unreasonable assumption I feel. If the cone is moving, by Newton's conservation of momentum the forces must balance. The ratio of cone movement to to enclosure movement is therefore 50/10 000, which gives us a maximum possible movement in the box of 0.005% of the movement of the cone. And that's with a box that's not coupled to anything, and is completely free to move. I'm not that worried.»

Well, you missed the main point. It'd be all true for an isolated system, but, unfortunately, there is a dissipative force — the air resistance. At velocities as high as the driver's it makes the main contribution to the force acting at the wall from the driver. So, vibrations really matter.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
TNT said:
Maybe this is hijacking the thread

It kind of is, but it's my fault - I asked! ;)

Great work on the bowls - very clever finding the center. Those bowls must have gotten VERY wobbly cutting with the jigsaw (sticksaw). Thank you for showing how you joined the bowls.

Back to the topic, it does surprise me that the metal spheres don't vibrate. Shouldn't there at least be pulsing from the pressure/vacuum caused when the drivers move in and out? Maybe the sphere is ridgid enough not to pulse?

There was another thread on spherical speakers HERE. On page 6 you can see wooden ball enclosures that Jives made.
Finding the wooden balls isn't easy, but now, thanks to TNT, we know that Ikea has both metal and wooden hemipheres for speaker building. Cool.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think that the secret is in the sphere shape. All forces are going along the walls, not towards them as in a box. I think this paper gives some insigth into the theory:

B&W PV1 paper

This sub was what inspired me to build the "BBASS" (my name for them) ! And that has nothing to do what they kick, even if they do :)
/

panomaniac said:
Back to the topic, it does surprise me that the metal spheres don't vibrate. ...

It wouldn't suprise me that you could rest a car on one of these bowls. They're very stiff. A subwoofer application wouldn't likely generate frequencies high enough to set off the shell's resonances either. I once build a cabinet of !/4" wall EMT steel. It sounds amazing right up to around 1-2 kHz where the internal wall modes take over. Fun effects box.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, yes... A sphere. Reminds me of the old "Bathysphere." Very strong indeed.

It is often written that the sphere is the best shape for a speaker enclosure, the reasons given often have to do with internal reflections and standing waves. Not much is said about the sphere might resisting vibrations, too. It seems so easy to get the flat sides of a speaker box to vibrate that "intuition" would say any shape will vibrate. Maybe not...

The only sphere speakers I have much experience with are the good old Elipson balls. Never did check to feel if they vibrated much.

TNT may have started us down a very interesting path.

planet10 said:

Nice illustrations... there has been some discussion of this already -- the push-push, push-pull, isobarik woofer. One of these days i'll acually get around to building one (i certainly have enuff 12s to build a pair)

There is a certain appeal to putting 4 drivers into the volume you would use for just 1.

dave

redsub0.jpg

That's what this is, peerless HDS 8"s in a dual isobaric. The inside volume is divided into two with a panel. Most sections are 1.5" thick. Still needs a little more work on the finish.... and to be tested :)

Hey guys,

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Been reading up on isobaric, push-pull and push-push configurations. Its confusing at times! I think it got confusing at times because most seemed to talk about the direction the speakers are facing and forgot to mention polarity...

Am i right in thinking:

That even order distortions will cancel for an infinite baffle or a dipole configuration when drivers are connected in a push-pull configuration. This will also work in an enclosure if the box is large enough or the excursion is small enough.

John K... was rather emphatic that cancellation is not guaranteed when push-pull is used in an enclosure. The enclosure introduces nonlinear air compliance and whilst the configuration reduces even order distortion, it is not eliminated.

And then there is the isobaric configuration which can be used to halve the required enclosure volume..... but not have any effect on the even order HD.

Anyway, that was what i gained from the forum. Is that understanding correct?

It got me thinking about some of the crazy designs posted, especially in this forum (TNT, Planet10, Sletol). I came up with this ridiculous and completely impractical creation. I thought it was worth sharing for the fun of it.

.... dunno how good it would sound...if at all... but i bet it would travel really fast :D

Guy

Attachments

• push-pull push-push.jpg
    push-pull push-push.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 714
TNT said:
Hi!

Maybe this is hijacking the thread but I pass on some more pics from the building process:

It is possible to find the top center by looking at the circles on the surface - here a hole is drilled..

the carving in some traces to guide the saw:

workin with the saw was really troublesome - in the begining it was OK but as the crcle was beeing finished, the whole thing started wobbling - the final resut was far from perfect but the tolerances by not gluing the second halff tigth to the metal took care of that:

I glued (epoxi) some steel bands inside one of the bowlss so to guide the other one when joining them - for this glue was also used but a sealant for marine (sikaflex).

/
Wonder what happened to these.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
They happily provide me with deep, clean bass on a every day basis - as we speak, enhancing the consumation of FZ - Yellow Shark.

I have not yet made a second pair using laser cut holes etc but it is on the agenda. 4 subs can't hurt either - can it?

I'm thinking of enABL them ;-)

/

Following up on vibration in wires... I know some Greek high-end designers who did some tests.

I don't know the specifics but they got some wire and suspended it on fishing line. They then sent very large current through the wire. The effect was obvious to the naked eye; the wire was moving, rippling to the current bursts.

Now take this the other way. You move a wire, and electrical current is induced! Obviously this will be on a much smaller scale but it will still happen. How obvious is this to the ear? I am not sure. But I suspect it is small. Still the ear can hear small differences if it is the right sort. What if the wire that connects to the power amp input is resonating like mad at a certain frequency?? Hmm..

I see this at work alot. working with large megawatt generators, believe me, when we do an shdden short test on the generator, as part of certification, with a few thousand amps on the cable, perhaps 3500 instananeaous current, on a 400 amp cable setup,(4 x say 45mm thick cables) you CAN see them lot jump, the instant the short closes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.