Commercial loudspeaker to choose and carpentry tools - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2006, 02:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Commercial loudspeaker to choose and carpentry tools

Hi everybody out there, I am new to this website, so firstly thank you for your time reading my questions.

I have some experience with building headphone amp. Currently I am moving towards loudspeaker system for home stereo. My basic idea is I'll build everything but loudspeaker, for speaker, I am not sure yet whether I will take DIY approach or buy commerical products. So here are my questions.

1. To build a pair of loudspeakers, what kind of tools are needed? How much does a set of medium quality tools cost?
2. I know tools can be expensive, if I decide not to DIY, what commericial loudspeaker do you think are reasonably priced, but with good quality? I looked at review of JBL 4400 series(currently 4408A, 4410A, 4412A), seems they have good reputation, and not too expensive. What do you guys think about them?
3. Could you please also direct me to some nice proven DIY loudspeaker designs?

Thank you for your time, any reply will be appreciated.
Old 4th June 2006, 04:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is a good thread
Necessary tools for diy?

I own many tools Table saw, Radial arm saw, planers, jointer, shaper, multiple routers, etc, etc.

You'll get a different answer from every one and I guess it depends largely on your budget and the space you have to work in. Let us know your budget and work space and we can give you some realistic paths.
Old 4th June 2006, 05:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Also consider "building" loudspeakers from a kit - kind of halfway between complete DIY and buying commercial. You'll get a better speaker for less money and learn about building/designing in the process.

There are lots of great kits out there - let us know if you need some links.
Old 4th June 2006, 06:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dryseals
Here is a good thread
Necessary tools for diy?

I own many tools Table saw, Radial arm saw, planers, jointer, shaper, multiple routers, etc, etc.

You'll get a different answer from every one and I guess it depends largely on your budget and the space you have to work in. Let us know your budget and work space and we can give you some realistic paths.
May I know how much these tools cost? Just wanna have a rough idea how much they would cost. When I acquired tools(DMM, pliers, cutters, etc.) for amp DIY, I ended up with spending more money on tools than for the amp itself, but that can be considered to be an investment particularly with quality tools, and it's worthwhile since I'll be building more amps with these tools. But for speaker building, I am far from being engaged yet, so quite hesitant with tool purchase.

Guess my budget is dependent on how much willpower I can build up. Currently, maybe under $1,000.

Quote:
Originally posted by sdclc126
Also consider "building" loudspeakers from a kit - kind of halfway between complete DIY and buying commercial. You'll get a better speaker for less money and learn about building/designing in the process.

There are lots of great kits out there - let us know if you need some links.

Actually by DIY I meant building with kits, I don't have knowledge and ambition yet to do my own desgin. Can I have the links for good kits?

I really appreciate you guys' help
Old 4th June 2006, 08:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

There are lots of places to get kits - in fact you have one in your back yard: www.solen.ca.

In this US there are www.partesexpress.com, www.madisound.com, Zalytron, Speaker City....

I'm sure I've missed some others in North America - help me out folks!
Old 4th June 2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sdclc126
- in fact you have one in your back yard
LOL. Just a quick six hour, 500 km journey to another province. Get up early, you'll be there by noon.
Old 4th June 2006, 08:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPT!!!

Cal you know what I mean!
Old 4th June 2006, 09:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hah, luckily it's not in BC. But seems that Solen doesn't offer cabinet in their kits, where to get cabinets?
Old 5th June 2006, 01:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Both PartsExpress and Madisound sell cabinets. There is also www.steinaudio.com which will build cabinets to order - just tell them what you want and they build and ship it to you. They will also just cut the panels and let you assemble them yourself if you want to do some cabinet assembly.

Also: http://www.northcreekmusic.com/LeeTa...TaylorPage.htm

And: http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/pjay99s...eakerhome.html
- look for the "Speaker Cabinet Makers" link.
Old 5th June 2006, 03:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Great, thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!