My OB LA's aren't right for my room. Need suggestions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2006, 07:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My OB LA's aren't right for my room. Need suggestions.

My open baffle line arrays aren't right for my new living room. They are way too close to the wall and the listening position is too close to the speakers. I still want to use the same tweeters (dayton ND20FA) and NSB's I have now to keep it "almost free" I'm not sure what to do though.

All suggestions and designs welcome! This is for movies as well as music. I'd like movies to sound like a theater, and music to sound live Although isn't that everyones goal?

Listening position to speakers is about 9ft. And distance from speaker to speaker is about 8ft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg htsetup.jpg (77.5 KB, 255 views)
Old 29th May 2006, 11:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Rewire for power tapering, so the image is slightly lower than center and move the 2 tweeters on top to the bottom. That will make them sound like they're not so tall and get the audio image down closer to TV level.

If they look too tall, just chop off some from the top.

For near wall placement, damp that rear wave with a layer or two of 1/2" open cell foam rubber and/or polyfill batting.

Maybe $10 or $15 total cost. Is that cheap enough for you?
Old 29th May 2006, 11:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've thought about power tapering them and also damping the rear wave. I'll give that a try. I'm not prepared to damp the wall yet. I dont think the girlfriend would like that much. I will stuff the back of the baffle though. Oddly enough I overlooked that the TV and tweeter array are on very different planes. I need to figure out a way to raise the TV rather then lower the tweeter line. My TV sits quite low, whereas the tweeter line is just about perfectly aligned with the ears.
Old 30th May 2006, 12:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Yes, I meant behind the drivers with the damping, not the wall.
Old 30th May 2006, 12:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I folded in half, and draped a comforter over each baffle. I think this should do a great job of soaking up the rear wave. As soon as my better half releases control of the living room I will audition some music

Any ideas for a new design if I cant make these arrays sing the way I want them to?
Old 30th May 2006, 01:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I love your enthusiasm to do an open baffle line array, which is one of my next projects. The only problem is you're using NSBs, which after you account for the dipole effect, you're probably not getting much under 200hz out of them. Any chance you would want to seal them up?

Also, I second power tapering your arrays. Don't touch the tweeters but wire your 16 woofers like this:

5-3-3-5 in series, for a 40 ohm, 24 ohm, tweeters, 24 ohm, 40 ohm. That will yield you a nominal 7.5 ohm load, if my mental math serves me well. I would do one speaker this way, compare it to the other, and see which you like better.

Also, how are you measuring your speakers and which program, if any, are you using to model the crossover?
Old 30th May 2006, 02:37 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm not apposed to sealing them. My comforter rear wave absorber came up inconclusive. I couldn't tell the difference either way I dont have audiophile ears i'm pretty sure.

My sub is covering the lowend below ~130hz.

I'm not using any software. I used the impedance plots provided by partexpress. I have a 1st order xover on the tweets, and a 3rd order butterworth on the mids. Both at 5850hz. I didn't like the sound crossed over low. With my tweeter line being so short, the optimal listening plane was way too narrow.

I really hated soldering all these speakers the first time. I'm not looking forward to resoldering them to taper them. I think it will be worth it though!

This was my first DIY speaker. For years I had a set of NHT SuperOnes. I didn't want to DIY another simple 2way. I just jumped in and built a monsterous line array. I tend to jump in and get in over my head

Hide this!Advertise here!