What about Eminence for home audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2006, 08:07 AM   #1
ostie01 is offline ostie01  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default What about Eminence for home audio

Looking to buy some drivers for a DIY speaker project. What do you think about Eminence pro serie like Omega pro for home audio(15 in). will they sound as good as home audio speaker. What is the difference between PA speaker and home audio speaker. Somewhat hard to find high wattage home speaker. Thanks
Old 29th May 2006, 09:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You'll be dissappointed with their bass unless you horn load them.
Old 29th May 2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Or EQ. The midrange on the Omega 15 is supposed to be very good.
Old 29th May 2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Using PA drivers at home is fine provided you like the sound of pro gear and that you have a decent sized room. If the room is less than about 400 square feet, you might not enjoy them as much. As mentioned by Gregg and Tenson, you might need help in the low end unless you EQ them.

Just MHO.
Old 29th May 2006, 03:19 PM   #5
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Their Alpha series 12A and 15A look like they'd be great woofers for an open baffle loudspeaker, with a Qts of .77 and 1.26 respectively.

Old 30th May 2006, 02:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

One question was the difference....

PA is optimized for efficiency and loudness, home woofers are more for max bandwidth and low cost. You can easily see this in the driver's specifications. Few PA woofers are rated very low in the bass, yet many home woofers can cover the subwoofer range in the right box. Of course, the average efficiency is several dB less. That's the trade-off. Considering that power is cheap these days, most home speaker makers just don't care about efficiency. At all.

If low bass is not an issue, and you want to get evicted from where you live, PA is the way to go. Even the smaller, cheaper Eminence drivers can be good. I have used the Alpha 8 (which is called a midrange driver) and it has great midrange, but also can do reasonable bass in a fairly compact vented box. A good option for low-powered tube amps, like I am doing.
Old 30th May 2006, 06:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ostie01,

Are you actually going to be using this for PA applications? That may help you in your search.

Personally, I made a compromise. I wanted something to use for PA and home use when needed. I also wanted it to be relatively low cost. So I built a system using Dayton Classic drivers. They don't have high power handling, but get quite loud in a multi driver configuration.

My setup includes two 2-way boxes w/ Dayton 10" classics and a 4x10 horn tweeter. The larger boxes are dual-12" Classic woofers and a Dayton silk tweeter in a TMM configuration. I chose the Dayton 12" because they have a higher sensitivity than the rest of the Classic line and give impressive bass...especially w/ 4 playing together in ported boxes.

No doubt, this would not be many people's choice for a PA system...but I DJ'd a wedding and reception this weeked with this setup and it was loud and clear with good range. About 6 hours of straight play w/o any problems. I'm sure they have limits, but they worked well for the size of rooms and groups I would normally play for.

Nice thing is that I can play this system in my house for just casual listening and still be satisfied. Something I normally didn't get from other PA speakers in my home.

But if you are leaning more toward true PA applications, I have used Emminence drivers before and with good results. Borrowed a guy's 15" two-ways and they were brutal. VERY loud.
Old 30th May 2006, 06:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The eminence magnum LF drivers are very well made with huge magnets and a cool aluminium phase plug and work very well in sealed or ported boxes. My friend is using two magnum 15LF's in 140 liter sealed boxes and they are quite impressive, fast and deep.
Old 30th May 2006, 07:50 PM   #9
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What frequency is he using them up to?
Old 30th May 2006, 07:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

They are crossed over to a heavily modified fostex fe206e in a tracktrix front horn at about 280Hz i think- he had a pair of BK electronics 300watt plate amps modified so that they could be crossed over slightly higher than standard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p5251655-copy.jpg (88.9 KB, 2027 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!