Driver suggestions 150Hz-2KHz Xovers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2006, 12:38 AM   #1
Tenson is offline Tenson  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Driver suggestions 150Hz-2KHz Xovers

Hi,

I am planning to make a pair of speakers with a RAAL ribbon tweeter and an Eminence Lab12 woofer. I have a plan for the midrange being open baffle but it is an odd design not done before so in the case that it doesn't work I want to have a back-up plan.

That plan is to ditch the midrange driver and use the ribbon and lab12 woofer with another midrange in a more normal implementation.

So for a midrange driver to cross at about 2KHz to the ribbon and 150Hz to the Lab12, what would be your pick? Money is not too much of an issue but not stupidly expensive drivers please, defiantly no more than £150 per driver inc. postage!

SoÖ for a normal size driver to xover at 150Hz it obviously needs to be in an enclosure (open baffle can't be big, you see). I thought the Scan-speak revelator slit cones and of course the 21W-8554 of linkwitz fame looked good as did the Accuton C92-6. I have not heard any of these though. I heard a few Accuton designs but not with that driver and they did sound very low distortion. What else is there? It needs to handle pretty high SPL too, say over 100dB in-room from 150Hz up.

My music preferences are loud, clean and oh so detailed low distortion for rock, metal, emo right through to jazz, chill out, vocal instrumental etc.. My current speakers are a pair of PMC AML1ís which is an active two-way. Though bear in mind these donít sound much like the other PMC stuff, more like the MB2 and BB5.

Thankies!
Old 28th May 2006, 02:33 AM   #2
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
if you want the best, you should buy all the midranges that are sold at madisound and partsexpress, and hear and compare each one of them using your computer as crossover. this way you are relying on your own ears, and that's good yes. otherwise people will just give you suggestions both good and bad and there's no way to know good from bad, and bad from good.

i would go for a peerless exclusive 830882 because it is detailed-sounding and has wide soundstage at the same time. Vifa XG18 is also a very good option if you don't mind a more jagged FR.
Old 28th May 2006, 02:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Zaph likes the H1224:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html
Old 28th May 2006, 04:14 AM   #4
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Driver suggestions 150Hz-2KHz Xovers

Quote:
Originally posted by Tenson
Hi,

I am planning to make a pair of speakers with a RAAL ribbon tweeter and an Eminence Lab12 woofer. I have a plan for the midrange being open baffle but it is an odd design not done before so in the case that it doesn't work I want to have a back-up plan.

That plan is to ditch the midrange driver and use the ribbon and lab12 woofer with another midrange in a more normal implementation.

So for a midrange driver to cross at about 2KHz to the ribbon and 150Hz to the Lab12, what would be your pick? Money is not too much of an issue but not stupidly expensive drivers please, defiantly no more than £150 per driver inc. postage!

SoÖ for a normal size driver to xover at 150Hz it obviously needs to be in an enclosure (open baffle can't be big, you see). I thought the Scan-speak revelator slit cones and of course the 21W-8554 of linkwitz fame looked good as did the Accuton C92-6. I have not heard any of these though. I heard a few Accuton designs but not with that driver and they did sound very low distortion. What else is there? It needs to handle pretty high SPL too, say over 100dB in-room from 150Hz up.

My music preferences are loud, clean and oh so detailed low distortion for rock, metal, emo right through to jazz, chill out, vocal instrumental etc.. My current speakers are a pair of PMC AML1ís which is an active two-way. Though bear in mind these donít sound much like the other PMC stuff, more like the MB2 and BB5.

Thankies!

Easy:

The veravox 5s

(also at Solen.ca)

Note of course that with baffle step effects it will likely be attenuated below 500 Hz. (..but then this is true of most drivers on most baffles)

This driver has excellent linear decay character like the RAAL, all the way up to 6kHz.

IF you can shell-out the additional cash for a two driver arrangement then consider the Bandor 16 ohm 150DW/16 in parallel (for an additional +6db with a voltage amp).

http://www.bandor.com/

This series of drivers is somewhat unique in that it has "baffle-step correction" already built into the driver's curve. Additionally its linear decay character is also excellent (like the Jordan drivers and UNLIKE normal metal drivers from co.'s like Seas).

In the correct enclosure you can achieve in-room low freq. extension flat to about 18 Hz.
Old 28th May 2006, 12:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I can't afford to buy every driver there is....

The H1224 has a nasty lot of break-up which I don't like the look of.

Can't find a lot about the Veravox 5s. I don't think the Bandor will be needed as there will be a Lab12 for bass duties, which I doubt the Bandor could hold a flame to?

Keep 'em coming!
Old 28th May 2006, 01:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Perhaps what you want is a pair of 8" midbass drivers in an MTM so you can cross at 2k and get some decent output. Do those AMCs use Vifa poly drivers or similar? If you like the sound then perhaps there is the Vifa P21. You might also look at some of the Peerless drivers - HDS.

You say you like detailed, but are you sure about that? I find detailed and very accurate speakers are a bit unforgiving on most recordings. I remember listening to some VAF signature speakers which use Seas Excel drivers - outstanding on very well recorded jazz, but completely destroyed a typical rock or pop CD. I'm accustomed to poly cones which are more forgiving.

Over 100db in room?
That is a challenge for a driver that can cross at 2k with just one of them. I start to think of larger HE drivers but then they will beam at 2k. Hence I come back to the idea of MTM with a pair of 8" drivers, and if output is not enough, then add some more to counter dipole roll-off so you would have WMTMW.

OB above fequal can be efficient in the midrange if you don't use treatments to kill the back wave. The Linkwitz Phoenix has an efficiency of 99db over 250 Hz and 92db at 100 Hz.

I doubt the Lab12 driver would perform well up to 150 Hz. I'd be suspicious of its performance above 50 Hz.
Old 28th May 2006, 01:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I doubt the Lab12 driver would perform well up to 150 Hz. I'd be suspicious of its performance above 50 Hz.
i agree 100% with this, if you already bought them, you should more think 70 - 2000 than 150 - 2000

in this case what you need for a mid is a 8", so you won't have too much problems about IM distortion. Moreover , if you REALLY wanna try open baffle , you are gonna need a bass driver that goes higher than this, or a very large baffle + high Qt midbass driver, or a lot of active EQ

if you have the means to do active EQ, any 8" driver with a good xmax, and good extension in the mids will do the trick (think vifa poly, peerless exclusive, monacor kevlar drivers)

if you don't, well, i don't know of any driver with high Qt, high xmax, and good extension, so you would have to choose another bass driver in order to achieve a good transition between your bass and midbass.

if you go closed, or even better, aperiodic TL for your mid driver, then my above recommendations applies.

Monacor SPH-200KE
Peerless HDS-205EXCL

or even smaller drivers like one of the good 6" you quoted in your first post
Old 28th May 2006, 01:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I was going to suggest Adire extremis, but then I thought of this:

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/poly_6.5_page.html

It looks quite similar but much better price.
Old 28th May 2006, 02:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Why do you doubt the Lab12's performance about 70Hz or so? It shows a smooth response up to 100Hz where it wobbles a little bit up to 200Hz them breaks. A sharp Xover at 100Hz-150Hz seemed like it would do.

I am only going open baffle for my first design which I have decided on already. This is my back-up plan and I would go infinite baffle I think. I don't like the idea of ported or TL for a mid/bass. In fact if possible why use it at all?!

So okay, I need a driver that can do 100Hz-2KHz in an infinite baffle and do it loud and very very clean.

Sounds like the Scan-Speak 21W-8554 to me?

If I put that in a small, say 17liter infinite baffle then it peaks a little around 100Hz which I can bring own with EQ. It then rolls off smoothly to 50Hz. I could use the Lab12 simply as a fill in woofer.

I know Linkwitz did a lot of tests when he did the Phoenix, so why did he use a different driver in the Orion?

Yes I'm sure I like detailed accurate speakers. The AML1 use the PMC custom made flat piston woofer as in the IB1/IB2 and their top of the line tweeter as in the MB2 active and BB5 active. I really like the sound of the MEG RL901K as well, which is probably the most accurate speaker I know of (until mine ).

Cheers
Old 28th May 2006, 02:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Tenson

what sensitivity are you after?

Hide this!Advertise here!