new speakers after 20 years

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
new member, old hand.

i've recently dredged my mlssa system and mighty mike out of mothballs. had to track down a x486 intel machine to run the card on.......and had to scratch my head to remember the hot keys. got started and perused my old favorite sites to find drivers to use for a new system.

have collected a few good high current amps and a electronic 3-way crossover with intention of a hybridized tri-amp system.......but with passive x-over on the tweeter......don't want to smoke it with a turn-on transient.

am thinking a d'appolito, w/ seas w12cy003 (nextel cone) and seas millenia tweeter. was stuck on the sub part, but found the xxls line from peerless. no EQ, and a 10" PR system that goes down to about 20 hz in a 20 liter box. i'll take it!

thought i'd send a note out and see what the other audio geeks are thinking.

i'm keen on clean bass extension, and tight detailed mid/upper (how unusual !). reasonable size (very reasonable). my room is big, but i do not want to intrude on the space with big stupid boxes. a sub (as long as not too big) is almost a forgone conclusion.......as the d'appolito monitors have to sit on something......might as well be a sub. stand is a waste of space. pobably use solid oak for the cabs and finish with black laquer. i'm sick of mdf and veneer. i'll rip 2" or 3" wide "sticks" of 1" stock and mill a glue joint. glue up panels......very stable. a bit of internal bracing. maybe some lead shot in the bottom of the satelites and we'll be good to go.

i've built d'appolito's swan system (featured speaker builder late 80's) later took a swing at professional design and worked at that for 4 years. many designs under the belt. favorite was the last......single cabinet, 8" wide internally. 42" tall about. d'appolito with dynaudio esotec and vifa 5" drivers. bottom end was dual 8" eclipse woofers in bandpass config. (clean and flat to 18 hz). external x-over in matching teak enclosure. custom job for a commodities broker to match his teak room.

-linc

well this geek is geting parts together to build these speakers.
from the past i allways wanted a set;)

welcome to the forum:D

Attachments

• lascalaii_large.jpg
    lascalaii_large.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 392
sys3 said:
new member, old hand.

i've recently dredged my mlssa system and mighty mike out of mothballs. had to track down a x486 intel machine to run the card on.......and had to scratch my head to remember the hot keys. got started and perused my old favorite sites to find drivers to use for a new system.

have collected a few good high current amps and a electronic 3-way crossover with intention of a hybridized tri-amp system.......but with passive x-over on the tweeter......don't want to smoke it with a turn-on transient.

am thinking a d'appolito, w/ seas w12cy003 (nextel cone) and seas millenia tweeter. was stuck on the sub part, but found the xxls line from peerless. no EQ, and a 10" PR system that goes down to about 20 hz in a 20 liter box. i'll take it!

thought i'd send a note out and see what the other audio geeks are thinking.

i'm keen on clean bass extension, and tight detailed mid/upper (how unusual !). reasonable size (very reasonable). my room is big, but i do not want to intrude on the space with big stupid boxes. a sub (as long as not too big) is almost a forgone conclusion.......as the d'appolito monitors have to sit on something......might as well be a sub. stand is a waste of space. pobably use solid oak for the cabs and finish with black laquer. i'm sick of mdf and veneer. i'll rip 2" or 3" wide "sticks" of 1" stock and mill a glue joint. glue up panels......very stable. a bit of internal bracing. maybe some lead shot in the bottom of the satelites and we'll be good to go.

i've built d'appolito's swan system (featured speaker builder late 80's) later took a swing at professional design and worked at that for 4 years. many designs under the belt. favorite was the last......single cabinet, 8" wide internally. 42" tall about. d'appolito with dynaudio esotec and vifa 5" drivers. bottom end was dual 8" eclipse woofers in bandpass config. (clean and flat to 18 hz). external x-over in matching teak enclosure. custom job for a commodities broker to match his teak room.

-linc

Considering size, the drivers you are interested in, and your additional amps and preferance for tri-amping - this is what I woud do if I were you:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_us.htm

It should give you not only something excellent, but also something DIFFERENT than what you have done before.

At far less expense yet with some similar sonic attributes consider this design:

http://www.musicanddesign.com/NaOMini.html

With a similar theme and at less expense though also less extension (req. a sub), alternativly consider this design:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55483&highlight=

Both the drivers and the design are quite different then what you were originally contemplating, but still excellent (and perhaps audibly better). The ribbons can be found at parstsexpress.com and the fullranges at markaudio.com

You might even consider this subwoofer (if you decide to go the "crossing over jordan" route) just to gain some subjective insight to different radiation patterns at lower freq.s:

http://www.musicanddesign.com/craw.html

Any of the 3 designs should provide excellent sound.

Note: if you use a passive crossover at any stage you might want to look at Tony Gee's subjective cap test page here:

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

In particular the Clarity Cap range is easily the best overall value in the US when referenced to Tony's guide. ..e-speakers.com has them.

thanks for the feedback, all.

in order of appearance:
- i like the d'appolito more 'cause you double the cones area than the enhancement of hte verticle polar response.
- i'd likely use the 24 db/oct active units i hve for sub-mid.....and then hand off to a passive 3rd or 4th for the tweet......but use the active to cut off below the cutoff of the passive to remove LF signals from entering the HF amp
-i like smaller boxes. and prefer to break the sub cabinet out from the monitor cabinet. vibration isolation to some degree. my own aesthetics otherwise.
- motherboard offer appreciated. booted my acer a few hours ago and she still runs. thanks.
- re: the orion and other nice designs sent my way........much appreciated. 20 years of my absence and sigfried still kicking ***! joe d'appolito was much influenced by siegfried (as were/are many others)....good to know he is still creating such good work. i was sorely tempted to sign up for an orion! fact is, i will not have my cabinets drive my living space again. been there, done that. i would love to hear a pair of orions, but i need more placement flexibility than a set of dipoles can allow.......his driver choices do validate mine though (i'm pleased to note), and suggest i may have success if i execute reasonably.

i'll post if i move forward.

good luck to all! and again, thanks for the input!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.