How to use SI Soundpads...or can anyone else reccomend a portable speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to go on a trip to Israel, and am bringing my T-amp. Expect a modded monster by the time I get back.
I'm very interested in making some cheap, functional, and reasonably decent speakers for my Mp3 player and laptop. They need'nt be perfect, but size is key.

I've heard that, if put on a properly sized piece of plastic (I've got some acrylic handy, and can work with it easily enough) that the SI Soundpads don't sound too bad. They're certianly small enough; a Soundpad based speaker is only about 1" thin!

So, any reccomendations? I'd like to make the speakers as small and flat as possible, so that they could be easily carried with me.
So, any tips?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I haven't used 'em, but there was a good post last year about the sound pads - maybe it was over on AA.

A large foam-core sheet was said to work best. Give it a try and let us know what you think. The sound pads always get good rviews, odd as that seems.

Try a piece of 3/16" foam core - available at Michael's (or other craft stores - even wally-world). I think it will perform better than plastic, but I haven't tried plastic - yet. Since size is a factor, cut it to the size you want. But if you go too small it won't sound as good.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in the sound pads. I posted over in the alternatives section, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=70880 but not much of a response - maybe too alternative :) I guess most people think the sound pads are silly and don't want to try them. They do have a lot of benefits over traditional loudspeakers. There's a technical article on NXT here http://www.vxm.com/NXT.html

Someone else mentioned using a Fed-Ex box as an enclosure. Probably any small box would work too. In fact it would probably work better than a small piece of foam core or plastic. Here is what Sonic Imapct used to sell http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5404920/
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

-Ken

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Ken,
Thanks for the NXT article, very interesting reading.
Also had a look at the other thread. How are you coming with your foam core panels? Still like them? 8" from the wall isn't much, have you changed that?

Last year the was a post- somewhere- by a guy who had done quite a bit of trial and error with the Soundpads. I think he ended up with 30x40" panel and 2 drivers per panel. Was that you, Ken?

Worth a listen, they are cheap enough.

panomaniac said:
How are you coming with your foam core panels? Still like them? 8" from the wall isn't much, have you changed that?

Haven't done much on them lately. Got too many things going on and I just started another speaker project - DOESN'T IT EVER END??? :)

My wife must think I'm nuts. I'm sure she thinks I'm the only one that builds speakers like I do. Little does she know about all the folks out here in cyberspace :)

Originally posted by panomaniac Last year the was a post- somewhere- by a guy who had done quite a bit of trial and error with the Soundpads. I think he ended up with 30x40" panel and 2 drivers per panel. Was that you, Ken?

I saw that post, but, it wasn't me. My panels are the same size - I think. Haven't tried the 2 per panel yet.

Originally posted by panomaniac Worth a listen, they are cheap enough.

Yes, at $20 for the pair, not bad at all.

I went to the computer swap meet this morning. There was a new vendor there that was selling these things....
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, the curious speaker dude that I am, I picked one up. Cost $15 for one, $25 for two. These are $40 over at J&R http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4042092&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.MC+AISPKR-PT

Same NXT sound panel technology as you would expect. For what they are, they sound pretty good - a bit midrangey, but that's to be expected.

It's the same size a double CD case, only a little thicker. Pretty neat for a compact speaker you can take on the road.

-Ken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.