Dual voice coil wiring questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2006, 08:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dual voice coil wiring questions

Well, after a few searches on the subject of dual voice coil drivers (subs in particular, but any multi-coil speaker in general) I still am uncertain about a few things:

- It seems that it is indeed possible (per article on Adire Audio site you are no doubt familiar with) to power only 1 coil of a typical DVC sub, either by shorting one of the coils or connecting a resistor across the unpowered coil to alter the Qes of the driver. It seems logical to me; or am I missing something important here?

- That's all fine and good, but how does one go about determining the proper type & value of resistor to utilize in order to accomplish this? Or is it sufficient to just short the unused coil? How is one to know the difference? I have seen this activity referenced on several sites, but never any specifics.

The reason I ask these questions is because I have always been curious to try this approach, and the oppurtunity to finally attempt it has recently occured. The problem is that it is not my equipment that I will be toying with, so I would like to hear a concensus on the subject before I try it. Any facts or links to further inforation would be greatly appreciated.
Old 25th May 2006, 03:02 AM   #2
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Do a search for RDO (resistively damped operation) or DVC (dual voice coil) on this forum. This has been answered many times.
Old 25th May 2006, 03:54 AM   #3
jwatts is offline jwatts  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Just and observation

I have been testing some DVC driver this week. Look at this page at the example of how the Qes changes. http://www.woofertester.com/dvc.html On a second note. You have got to get one of these.

There is a big difference in Qes which reflects this change on the overall Qts. Depending on what type of speaker you are looking at the enclosure size is probably going to increase. You are probably going to be better off wiring in series or parallel.
Old 25th May 2006, 01:36 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron E
Do a search for RDO (resistively damped operation) or DVC (dual voice coil) on this forum. This has been answered many times.

I did search for "dual voice coils" but the results I found were a bit vaugue at best. I'll try the other one, as that is a new phrase to me - thanx for the tip.
Old 25th May 2006, 01:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Just and observation

Quote:
Originally posted by jwatts
I have been testing some DVC driver this week. Look at this page at the example of how the Qes changes. http://www.woofertester.com/dvc.html On a second note. You have got to get one of these.

There is a big difference in Qes which reflects this change on the overall Qts. Depending on what type of speaker you are looking at the enclosure size is probably going to increase. You are probably going to be better off wiring in series or parallel.

Now that's what I mean - just point me in the right direction so that I may learn more about the subject from other ponits of view.
Old 25th May 2006, 01:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ah, now I see.
The search for "RDO" turned up just about everything I could ask for. This is a fascinating site, pity I have just now discovered it.

Let me type this out for future reference, just to get a few things straight:

Shorting 1 coil of a DVC driver:

- Qes will change dramatically (roughly double) w/ 1 shorted coil; therfore Qts also changes.

- Dampeneing is basically irrelevant beyond Fs; above Fs mass determines efficiency / below Fs compliance of suspension determines efficiency.

- powerhandling is marginally effected, perhaps on the order of 25% less than rated specs.

- adding a variable resistor across un-driven coil allows Qts to be altered for specific applications.

Please correct my intial thoughts if necessary.

Anyway, the actual issue at hand is whether or not to short one coil of a D4VC woofer in order to utilize a 4 ohm stable (bridged) amp.
I am inclined to believe that my best option will be to simply wire the coils in series for a nominal 8 ohm impedance and accept the consequences. If I understand correctly, the overall efficency will basically not change, but the higher Revc will require a higer input voltage from the amp to achieve output comparable to operation at a lower resitance. That being the case, I think I may simply use a vented alignment in order to increase overall efficency of the system.

Hide this!Advertise here!