ohms?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi im a diy newbie

i would like to ask a few questions:

1.)what are speaker ohms?what has better quality 4 ohm or 8ohm?
2.)can you use different brands of speakers in one box?
3.)what can yous say about the generic speakers floating around the narket?
4.)if your crossover is 60 watts, can you use speakers that have lower wattage or you need to us the same?
5.)can you suggest a site for newbies...

moonshow said:
hi im a diy newbie

i would like to ask a few questions:

1.)what are speaker ohms?what has better quality 4 ohm or 8ohm?
2.)can you use different brands of speakers in one box?
3.)what can yous say about the generic speakers floating around the narket?
4.)if your crossover is 60 watts, can you use speakers that have lower wattage or you need to us the same?
5.)can you suggest a site for newbies...

1) 8 ohms speakers are better
2) yes, but only good brands
3) not much, I do not use them
4) you can use lower watts speakers, as long as Amplifier watts doesn't kill them
5) this one, diyaudio.com is not bad
but you should buy: "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" by Vance Dickason,
the best book

hope this helps! ;)

If you want to get more confused!

The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook seems like a good book, it contains a LOT of data.... but I feel you need a LOT of knowledge of acoustics/electronics etc to understand it.

I bought it the other day and it thoroughly confused me..... I picked up a book today called
'Designing, Building and Testing your own speaker system' by David Weems

EXCELLENT BOOK!

in plain English explains the how and why of crossovers, cabinet design and construction and testing......
couldn't recommend it more highly.

We do not want to confuse

plasmodium said:
The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook seems like a good book, it contains a LOT of data.... but I feel you need a LOT of knowledge of acoustics/electronics etc to understand it.

I bought it the other day and it thoroughly confused me..... I picked up a book today called
'Designing, Building and Testing your own speaker system' by David Weems

EXCELLENT BOOK!

in plain English explains the how and why of crossovers, cabinet design and construction and testing......
couldn't recommend it more highly.
Thanks, plasmodium
I better get that book by David Weems, too :)

Here are 8 customer reviews of the book
and some more stuff:

David Weems' book on LSP-building

:D :D on same page:
Customers who wear clothes also shop for:
Clean Underwear from Amazon's Gap Store
Cashmere Sweaters from Amazon's Lands' End Store
Tommy Bahama Shirts from Amazon's Nordstrom Store
Performance Fleece from Amazon's Old Navy Store
For a limited time get $30 to spend at Amazon when you spend $50 in Amazon's new Apparel Store!

:D :D

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Most of my loudspeaker knowledge is from Weems' book. Because it was so good, I never have gotten around to reading Dickason's.

I don't know if Weems has revised his section on Transmission Lines yet, but in the edition of that book from twenty years ago Weems was very skeptical of the Transmission Line system. Since then, things have changed, and Weems has come, in later publications, to embrace some form of Transmission Line systems. So don't be put off by Weems' opinion of them in that book, if he hasn't revised it.

As I recall, there was a line in the 1980 edition of that book, in the Transmission Line section, that goes something like this: "There is a tendency for enclosures built for Transmission Line systems to end up as being something else, such as doghouses"!!!

Although I understand the book of Dickason, I fully agree with Plasmodium. You need to understand what it is all about to understand the book.

Another good book you can look for is “Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual” also by David Wheems. Well structured, starting at the beginning and with a great sense of humour. But it goes in depth as well. It comes with a bundle of free design software for DOS.

In this book he devoted a complete chapter to transmission lines, tapered pipes and stuffed pipes.

You are right, Pjotr

Pjotr said:
Another good book you can look for is “Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual” also by David Wheems. Well structured, starting at the beginning and with a great sense of humour. But it goes in depth as well. It comes with a bundle of free design software for DOS.

In this book he devoted a complete chapter to transmission lines, tapered pipes and stuffed pipes.
You are right.
He has written that book, too.

And also this:
30 projects to improve your stereo system

Books by David B. Weems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.