Soft Dome Tweeter Coatings - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2006, 07:26 AM   #1
Rhydon is offline Rhydon  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Soft Dome Tweeter Coatings

Hi all,

Ive become fascinated in the technology that is involved in coating tweeters to help reduce their resonance and/or even their frequency response.

My question is:

I would like to experiment with tweeter doping (i know i know, not too liked around here), in doing so, what are the most recommended doping/soft dome coatings recommended out their? (not too crazy about water soluable materials, i want it to last- ie no mod podge). Eventually i would like to construct my own soft-dome tweeters but i cant seem to find out this type of information anywhere.

In particular, i prefer the Dynaudio soft domes. To me, they have the perfect balance of acoustical characteristics.

So, does anyone know any good doping/coating materials used for the construction of lightweight soft dome tweeters similar to the Dynaudio ESOTAR's?
Old 22nd May 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Formulation of coatings is kept very hush-hush,
you will not find any information (AFAIK).

Also note most domes are "impregnated" not coated,
the matrix and the coating not being didtinguishable.
Seas Sonolex (used for soft domes) for example
comes in prefabricated sheeting and is not coated.

/Sreten.
Old 22nd May 2006, 02:45 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Sreten is correct, the goopy stuff in the Dynaudio domes is done via impregnation. An external coating will more often degrade things rather than help.

Choosing a coating systematically starts with defining precisely what you want the coating to do. And that will be different from driver to driver; the idea that there is a "universal" coating that will benefit all drivers is nonsense. Commonly believed nonsense, but still nonsense.
Old 22nd May 2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Rhydon is offline Rhydon  Canada
diyAudio Member

Tho i agree, some of the coating is integrated, it certainly isnt all of it. Go to the Dynaudio website, under car audio, there are a number of promotional videos of the in-house driver production (quite low budget, but it still shows the process they go thru). You can see the Dynaudio soft dome tweeters being elivated thru a white liquid, then put on a tray to dry.
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:58 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ooooooh, they have certainly cheapened the product, while raising prices. I saw their process back in the SENlabs days and it was pretty sophisticated.

Hide this!Advertise here!