$8.00 upgrade to an old pair of KLH 911b's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an old pair of KLH 911b bookshelf speakers that, to me, sound pretty good. They're a sealed 2 way design and are well stuffed by the manufacturer. I like the bass and midrange but the highs just aren't there. I'm considering replacing their cheap poly tweeters with something a little better.

The HI-VI TN25 FABRIC DOME TWEETER is only $8.28 at parts-express and is a perfect fit into the existing cutout. Do you think this will be a noticable improvement?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=297-408

About a year ago I bought a surround speaker set from evidence acoustics, it was on sale, priced down from 250 euro's to 50 euro's.

The fronts sound great, it has 2 no-name woofers, a nice frabric dome tweeter and a first order 2 way filter, I'm still using them now.

However the center and surround speakers where unbelievably bad, partially of the crossover that was basically one capacitor for the tweeter, but mostly because of the incredibly bad plastic tweeter that was in there, it even had a very loud bad sounding resonance whenever the waveform clipped, which happend often when watching television.

I stopped using the center and surrounds after two weeks, I set my onkyo receiver to 4 speakers and used some 30 year old philips speakers as surrounds.

Still, 50 euro's is not bad for two nice speakers.

PS. When replacing a tweeter use one that has the same impedance, otherwised it messes up the crossover.
Also the tweeters you are planning to put in has 89 dB 1W/1m efficiency, this has to match you woofers, otherwise you could make a voltage divider for the woofer or tweeters from two resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.