I need space.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a very space limited enclosure of about 208 cubic inches. My problem is to get to that volume I have decided to use a tube 2" by 30" to attain the remainder of enclosure volume I need. This is not a port it is a sealed box. My concern is that the tube my cause a resonating problem. This is for a 5 1/4 driver tuned and crossed over at 100 Hz. Any comments appreciated.

Tubes/cylinders are very rigid in cross-section but do tend to resonate along their length, which is why we have such things as pipe organs, flutes, trumpets, etc.

Go to Linkwitz's site and look at his surround speakers and the Pluto omni-directional - these are made with PVC pipe and he talks about how to calculate pipe length based on driver characterisitcs etc. - stuffing is used to damp the resonances caused by the rear wave of the driver - something that must always be dealt with in enclosed speaker design, tube or otherwise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.