Designs with a full range and bass driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone designed a loudpseaker with a full range driver and a bass driver?

I have 2 pairs of nice 6.5" midbasses, where the bass response is great but the midrange is so so, thought about using a popular full range like the CSS FR125S or fostex equivalent, with a filter in the lower bass region.

Any suggestions??

Cheers, ~Andrew

those look interesting... I live in a small house, and there's always an emphasis on full range drivers being used in applications aimed at very large rooms, I'm satisfied with output from 20-28 litre enclosures, the bass drivers I have can be tuned down to 35hz, which is great I think. I figured the full range forum was for designs using one driver only, anything requiring a crossover or drivers playing different frequencies would be covered in loudspeakers!

I like the idea of using a fullrange unit with a bass driver, where there is a lot of stress put on the unit. That way you can have loud clean mids and highs with one driver and the heavy bass taken care of by a dedicated unit, without the need for a subwoofer.

By all means go ahead and design some bass units with your 6.5s - sounds like an interesting project. Maybe go "semi-active" by using some subwoofer amps to drive them, and using the amps' adjustable crossover to seemlessly integrate with the fullrangers. Just a thought.

I'd still check out the Fullrange forum - yes they use fullrange drivers there but not exclusively - lots of speaker designs INCORPORATE fullrange drivers as midranges or wideranges, then supplement whatever weak areas those drivers have, as you plan to do. I think if you repost your original query there you might be pleasantly surprised at the response.

Lots of people on this site prowl more than one category - you'll see the same people on fullrange as well as loudspeakers, etc. And if you have a digital cam we ALWAYS want to see photos of projects.

Good luck and keep us informed. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.