Designs with a full range and bass driver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2006, 05:29 AM   #1
swin1 is offline swin1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Designs with a full range and bass driver?

Anyone designed a loudpseaker with a full range driver and a bass driver?

I have 2 pairs of nice 6.5" midbasses, where the bass response is great but the midrange is so so, thought about using a popular full range like the CSS FR125S or fostex equivalent, with a filter in the lower bass region.

Any suggestions??

Cheers, ~Andrew
Old 19th May 2006, 06:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can take a look at the "BassZilla" here -

http://store.hifiauthority.com/olsherkits.html

It of course can't use your 6.5s, but that's the one design I could think of offhand.

BTW - have you tried posting in the fullrange forum? I'm sure you'll find people there who have built with subs, supertweeters, etc.
Old 19th May 2006, 07:30 AM   #3
swin1 is offline swin1  Australia
diyAudio Member

those look interesting... I live in a small house, and there's always an emphasis on full range drivers being used in applications aimed at very large rooms, I'm satisfied with output from 20-28 litre enclosures, the bass drivers I have can be tuned down to 35hz, which is great I think. I figured the full range forum was for designs using one driver only, anything requiring a crossover or drivers playing different frequencies would be covered in loudspeakers!

I like the idea of using a fullrange unit with a bass driver, where there is a lot of stress put on the unit. That way you can have loud clean mids and highs with one driver and the heavy bass taken care of by a dedicated unit, without the need for a subwoofer.
Old 19th May 2006, 11:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

By all means go ahead and design some bass units with your 6.5s - sounds like an interesting project. Maybe go "semi-active" by using some subwoofer amps to drive them, and using the amps' adjustable crossover to seemlessly integrate with the fullrangers. Just a thought.

I'd still check out the Fullrange forum - yes they use fullrange drivers there but not exclusively - lots of speaker designs INCORPORATE fullrange drivers as midranges or wideranges, then supplement whatever weak areas those drivers have, as you plan to do. I think if you repost your original query there you might be pleasantly surprised at the response.

Lots of people on this site prowl more than one category - you'll see the same people on fullrange as well as loudspeakers, etc. And if you have a digital cam we ALWAYS want to see photos of projects.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Hide this!Advertise here!