Small dual-voice-coil woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Here is the Monacor Contact page from their website, if it comes to that:
http://www.monacor.com/index.cfm?PR...=1&private_iAktuellerNode_MenuRoot=815&STYLE=[default]&PRIVATE_IAKTUELLERNODE_LEFTMENUBOTTOM=837&PRIVATE_IAKTUELLERNODE_LEFTMENUTOP=830&PRIVATE_IAKTUELLERNODE_RIGHTMENU=817&Caller=AT&CS=24D5D540F18B74345F4F9BF27741D832

And here is their contact info:

Phone: (0421) 48 65-0
Fax: (0421) 48 84 -15/-16
E-mail: <mailto:info@monacor.de>

Their contact page listed distributors from several countries-none in the Western Hemisphere. But contact them anyway-you know how these companies are about updating their webpages. There might be somebody in the USA carrying them and the webpage hasn't listed them yet.

Joined 2001
If you want to pay 80 bucks, there is the Focal 7V4211DB, available at Speaker City.
http://www.speakercity.com/focal/focal_midbass.shtml

Audax mentions two 6.5 inchers-the HM170ZO and the HT170G8.

Parts Express seems to have some kind of kit with the HM170ZO, but the kit mentions nothing about dual voice coil!
Also it was supposed to be replaced by the HM170Z18, but again there is no mention of dual voice coil in the new model.

Anyway, here is the Audax spec sheet. Check it out for yourself.
http://www.audax.com/bin/specsearch.pl
The HM 170ZO has an especially nice feature in that the Qes is .37, the Qts is .35, and the Fs is 35. Nice and low.

I am sure there are other 6.5 dual voice coil woofers. Keep looking.

Of course, if you need a dual voice coil woofer because you plan on hookng it up to 2 channels, I would point out that two 5 inch speakers have the same cone area as one 6.5 incher and you can hook each 5 incher up to a different channel.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
I know it's a bit bigger than you spec, but the Audax HM210Z2 is a great little bass speaker, twin coils and an Aerogel cone.

Fs 28Hz, Qts 0.31, Qes .32, and a nice smooth curve at low frequencies

Attachments

• hm210z2_curve.gif
    hm210z2_curve.gif
    11 KB · Views: 619
Joined 2001
Oops, my mistake. The woofer I was referring to was the Audax HM170Z2, not the Hm170Z0. My mistake.

That Audax link I gave doesn't work. Try this.

Go to www.audax.com

Click on "Products"
In "Woofers" section, click on arrow at the right of the slot which says "Driver size"

Select "6.5". Then click "Submit".

Specs for all Audax 6.5" woofers will appear.

In "Z" listing, the HM170Z2 and the HT170G8 will have listings of "2 X 8"

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Since i just scored some Tagband 3" i've been thinking about this too. I think i'm going to try a number of drivers on the bottom. With the exotic cast-basket ones i'm going to try my Jordan JX150, and for a dual voice coil 6 1/2 i'll just use pairs of the PB/VIFA P17s i have a case of.

Give a pair of 6 1/2s consideration instead of one with 2 coils.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: maybe OFS but..

swirv said:
What do you have planed for those TB's Dave?

I'm still thinking on these. I have the exotic ones (i will start a whole new thread on these -- from just a cosmetics point-of-view they are gorgeous -- hopefully they sound half as good). I'll match these with some nice woofs -- i have a set of Jordan JX-150s and a case of PSB/VIFA P17s (i'll be surprised if the 3" keep up with the Jordans, but i'll have then in a box at least). This will have to be active since the woofers are more effieicient than the 3s.

I'll do something similar with the cheaper ones, but use either a set of 4 Adire AV3s or RS 40-1022s i have. I'm leaning to the AV3s since they are shielded and in concept this would be somewhat like the elfs, but a true 2-way.

I will also probably play with adding a tweeter. Because the XO can be high and the 3s are extended this is ideal for 1st orders series play.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.