PC-speakers + small amp (key words: small, cheap)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone put the TB W3-871s in a small ported box yet?
I'm planning on building some small PC-speakers and I have these TB's laying around for some time now.
The box should be small enough to put them next to the screen on the desk.
I was thinking about powering them with a small amplifier-kit from Velleman or so. (needs to be very small too)
The K4003 needs just a small transformer so, I think I can fit something like that in a nice small box.
Are there any alternatives to that?

I would like to put the TB's in a ported box to get a little more bass out of them. Would a sealed box with a HP-capasitor be a better idea?

Putting the notch at line-level seems to be a good idea too. Anyone any experiance with this?

In the mean time I'll be simulating with WinISD and doing some research on small cheap amplifiers. :D

I've done some simulations in WinISd and it seems to be a good idea to put the driver in a sealed box. :D
I think there other people that already came to the same conclusion. LOL :clown:

I think 3L would be a nice volume for this little driver. That's a little bit smaller then the low diffraction box from ZaphAudio, but there no big difference in response in the lower frequencies according to WinISD.
I'll be designing my own enclosures. Maybe I'll post some pictures.

Any help with the amp would be appreciated. Are there realy small 2channel class D amps out there that don't cost too much? (would be nice to go without a heatsink)

rho said:

Any help with the amp would be appreciated. Are there realy small 2channel class D amps out there that don't cost too much? (would be nice to go without a heatsink)

Sonic Impact T-Amp(like $30 new on eBay) could be used with some mods to extend bass and clarity, etc, however you're only going to get about 6 useful watts out of it at 8 ohms, maybe a little more at 4.

while not class d, you could DIY a 2-channel LM3886 gainclone, that might be cool and deilver plenty of power...if you need tons of power, maybe go for a 4 ohm setup and a pair of LM4780's? :D

how about a 41hz Amp6? 2x 25 watts into 4 ohms, class D and the PSU + both channels are on a single PCB for compactness.

actually for my "computer speakers" i use an old Superscope R-1270 receiver that i got for $18 on eBay. it's not compact, but it's cheap and has a bunch of inputs, plus delivers more power and sounds better to me than a T-amp. then again, my "computer speakers" are an old pair of Wharfedales. :)

I already have an amp based on the LM4780 but that's too big.
I realy need a small amp. 5W would be enough.

The amp6 looks realy interesting. I was under the impression that the higher the number the more power, so I stoped looking after I'd seen the power of the amp1.
Amp3 is looking good too.

Modding a T-amp is also a possibility.

Since we're in the speaker-section here, I'll first have a good look around in the amplifier section and look up some posts about the AMP6 and T-AMP.

rho said:
I already have an amp based on the LM4780 but that's too big.
I realy need a small amp. 5W would be enough.

The amp6 looks realy interesting. I was under the impression that the higher the number the more power, so I stoped looking after I'd seen the power of the amp1.
Amp3 is looking good too.

Modding a T-amp is also a possibility.

Since we're in the speaker-section here, I'll first have a good look around in the amplifier section and look up some posts about the AMP6 and T-AMP.

the amp3 and amp6 are the same i think, only that the 6 does not use surface-mount components which the 3 does. personally, i don't have the skills to solder SMD stuff so i would take the 6 because it'd be easier to make.

for modding T-amps you might find this site interesting:

http://www.michael.mardis.com/sonic/start.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.