Radio Shack analogue SPL meter circuit diagram

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Does anyone have a diagram for the Radio Shack analogue SPL meter? I've done the mods to flatten the electronics but now I want to interpose a (switchable) +40dB low-noise amplifier between the microphone and existing preamplifier so as to be able to use the meter for cheaply comparing environmental noise between locations. It would help if I knew what the existing diagram was...

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The settings are:

OFF
BATT
120dB
110dB
100dB
90dB
80dB
70dB
60dB

I've got to go away and think about it, but it looks rather as if that single stage amplifier could be replaced by a two or three-stage feedback amplifier with a single on/off switch to select the extra +40dB gain.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
The one for flattening the LF and HF response of the electronics. As I've lost my original paperwork for it, I'm guessing that it was the Eric Wallin mods. I also took the capsule out of the horrible lump on the front and machined a proper slim stem for it that mounted on the front.

This has been a fabulously useful device for me. I have demonstrated with scientific accuracy that I do NOT turn my stereo up to a volume as loud as my wife's TV. Not that she believes the meter, but still, I know I proved a point.

I wonder when I'll be allowed back in the bedroom.

SY said:
This has been a fabulously useful device for me. I have demonstrated with scientific accuracy that I do NOT turn my stereo up to a volume as loud as my wife's TV. Not that she believes the meter, but still, I know I proved a point.

I wonder when I'll be allowed back in the bedroom.

Right after yuo tell her she is right and you are wrong. Might be a long wait :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:D
This has been a fabulously useful device for me. I have demonstrated with scientific accuracy that I do NOT turn my stereo up to a volume as loud as my wife's TV
Didn't need a meter for that. My neighbors let us know. I can still sleep in the bed.

I use SPL meter in industrial settings for use in paging requirements. I use the digital thermometer to show my wife it's too cold in the winter.

I use an Audio Control SA-3050A for flat audio readings.

-Chris

EC8010 said:
Does anyone have a diagram for the Radio Shack analogue SPL meter? I've done the mods to flatten the electronics but now I want to interpose a (switchable) +40dB low-noise amplifier between the microphone and existing preamplifier so as to be able to use the meter for cheaply comparing environmental noise between locations. It would help if I knew what the existing diagram was...

You want an extra 40 dB gain after the microphone? The microphone capsule itself is not very low noise. I believe, the nosie floor is about 30-35 dB and even higher at low frequencies. Small diameter capsules have high noise levels, even the expensive ones from Brüel&Kjaer or Earthworks. I am using a Panasonic WM-60 in place of the original capusle. The Panasonic capsule is mounted externally. I had to increase the gain of the Radio Shack by 4dB for the same reading. Eric Wallin's article is now to be found here: http://mysite.verizon.net/tammie_eric

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Agreed, small capsules have higher noise floors, but the RS capsule is 3/8" compared to the 1/4" of the Panasonic so that should give it about a 6dB advantage (double the area doubles the capacitance). Granted, that doesn't put it in the same league as a large capsule Neumann.

Having spent some time scribbling on the backs of envelopes, it looks as though that single transistor amplifier could be converted into a two transistor amplifier rather than adding another amplifier. Also, the calibration tweak could move to be after the amplifier (helps with noise). I calculate that the existing single transistor amplifier has a gain of about 16.5dB, and that it would be feasible to make a new two transistor amplifier with a gain switchable between 46.5dB and 16.5dB - adding 30dB, rather than 40dB. If your thoughts are correct, even this will put me right on the edge of capsule noise. There's only one sure way to find out...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.